Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by ter_perl <se...@hotmail.com> on 2004/01/07 19:15:57 UTC

global.asa, startup.pl, httpd.conf, or module

Hello All.

I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP.  After initially
getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl, and
Apache::ASP.  After poking around in each for a while, I decided to
go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl scripts.

Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with which
files I should be storing stuff.  Here is what I'm doing now:

httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry

startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent DB
connection.  Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
variables.

global.asa : Empty!

It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task.  Is it
necessary, desirable, to use both?  I'm a bit of a newbie here so
any suggestion will be helpful!

BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you!  I've never
even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power of
Perl.

Regards,
Tom

Re: global.asa, startup.pl, httpd.conf, or module

Posted by ter_perl <se...@hotmail.com>.
--- In apache-asp@yahoogroups.com, Josh Chamas <jo...@c...> wrote:
> ter_perl wrote:
> > Hello All.
> >
> > I am fairly new to both mod_perl and Apache::ASP.  After
initially
> > getting mod_perl up and running, I configured Mason, Embperl,
and
> > Apache::ASP.  After poking around in each for a while, I decided
> > go with Apache::ASP and have started to convert my CGI, perl
scripts.

> > Everything has been going great but I'm a bit confused with
which
> > files I should be storing stuff.  Here is what I'm doing now:
> >
> > httpd.conf: Call Apache::Registry
> >
> > startup.pl : Call Apache::DBI and DBI to establish a persistent
DB
> > connection.  Also call my own custom module, USA which basically
> > consists of a bunch of commonly used functions and environment
> > variables.
> >
> > global.asa : Empty!
> >
> > It seems that startup.pl and global.asa have the same task.  Is
it
> > necessary, desirable, to use both?  I'm a bit of a newbie here
so
> > any suggestion will be helpful!
> >

> Yes, use startup.pl for mod_perl specific configuration like
preloading
> of Apache::DBI and DBI and your own module, but use global.asa to
> configure things like Script_OnStart routine which will be run
prior
> to the start of each ASP script, but with access to ASP objects.
>
> Generally, the port from a CGI script is easy, just wrap <% %>
around
> each one and voila! its an ASP script.
>
> > BTW: To those that created Apache::ASP... thank you!  I've never
> > even used ASP in a Windows env. before but just love the
> > simplicity... it is like getting the ease of PHP with the power
of
> > Perl.
> >

> Thanks & enjoy!  If you create anything for http://apache-
asp.org/sites.html
> just send them to to list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Josh

Thanks for the help and quick response.  I'm just starting to read
up on the Apache::ASP documentation objects and features.
Hopefully, some of that will go into the global.asa file.  I'm
creating a web application to assist with Unix/Linux
administration.  Its running against a PostgreSQL DB and is coming
along quite nicely.  If it ever gets to a polished enough stage,
I'll be glad to submit it to apache-asp.org.

Thanks again.

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.