Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joe Stein <jo...@apache.org> on 2014/03/12 17:31:44 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Kafka 0.8.1 Released

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the general availability release of Apache Kafka 0.8.1.

The 0.8.1 release introduces log compaction
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#compaction and a move to Gradle for builds.
Other changes in this release: https://archive.apache.org/dist/kafka/0.8.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html.

Apache Kafka is high-throughput, publish-subscribe messaging system rethought of as a distributed commit log.

** Fast => A single Kafka broker can handle hundreds of megabytes of reads and
writes per second from thousands of clients.

** Scalable => Kafka is designed to allow a single cluster to serve as the central data backbone
for a large organization. It can be elastically and transparently expanded without downtime.
Data streams are partitioned and spread over a cluster of machines to allow data streams
larger than the capability of any single machine and to allow clusters of co-ordinated consumers.

** Durable => Messages are persisted on disk and replicated within the cluster to prevent
data loss. Each broker can handle terabytes of messages without performance impact.

** Distributed by Design => Kafka has a modern cluster-centric design that offers
strong durability and fault-tolerance guarantees.

You can download the release from: http://kafka.apache.org/downloads.html

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at http://kafka.apache.org/

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Kafka 0.8.1 Released

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
>> Is it possible to update from 0.8 on the fly (rolling upgrade)?

Yes.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ted won <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ted won <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
That is a good point Michael. It looks like Joe fixed the typo. I added an
explanation of the scala versioning.

-Jay

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Yes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Migrating+from+0.7+to+0.8

Otis

Posted by Kane Kane <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael G. Noll" <mi...@michael-noll.com>.

Posted by Olivier Pomel <ol...@datadoghq.com>.
+1, as usual, thanks for the great work.

Cheers,
--
Olivier Pomel | CEO, Datadog | http://datadog.com

Posted by Olivier Pomel <ol...@datadoghq.com>.

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Dan Di Spaltro

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Kafka 0.8.1 Released

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Dan Di Spaltro