Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> on 2008/01/29 12:53:20 UTC

Re: exclude certain files and directories when importing for the first time

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:11:15AM -0200, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>    I'm just adding a project for the first time to a repository
>    (importing) and I don't want certain files and subdirs to be
>    included. I thought on using the svn:exclude property but it can
>    only be set on working copies and I don't have a working copy yet
>    in this stage. What should I do ?

You could temporarily move the certain files somewhere else,
do the import, and then move the files back.

Another option would be to create a .svnignore file.
I cannot find where this is documented in the book,
but it should behave the same as .cvsignore.

--
Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>                 Software Developer
elego Software Solutions GmbH                            HRB 77719

Re: exclude certain files and directories when importing for the first time

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:10:25AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Another option would be to create a .svnignore file.
>> I cannot find where this is documented in the book,
>> but it should behave the same as .cvsignore.
>
> I'm not aware of a .svnignore file.

Oh true, it's not available.

I should have looked up issue #482 before writing the above.
Sorry for the noise.

Posted by Jean-Claude Antonio <jc...@arcetis.com>.
Hello,

Otherwise, you could also think the other way around. ie: "put what you
need" instead of "ignore what you don't need" first.

For example

svn mkdir %url2repo%projectX
svn checkout %url2repo%projectX .
add whatever file/folder you need (very easy with TortoiseSVN to cherry
pick, by selecting them).
then commit.

You can then set the svn:ignore property for the future.

JClaude

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.