Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Will Hollins <wi...@btinternet.com> on 2008/01/26 10:42:26 UTC

Text wrapping around a graphic

Hi,
I want to have text that wraps around an image.
e.g.:

xxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxx|__________
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is this currently possible with fop?
I believe it would be possible with an fo:float, but from what I understand on the site, this isn't currently implemented.

Thanks,
Will

Re: Text wrapping around a graphic

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi Will,

Yes an fo:float is needed for that, which as you have seen isn’t
implemented yet.
Unfortunately I don’t know of any workaround to achieve a similar effect
without floats.

Sorry,
Vincent

Posted by Antares <ar...@gmail.com>.

Vincent Hennebert-3 wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Will Hollins a écrit :
>> Thanks for the fast response.
>> Are there plans to implement fo:float?
>
> Sure. I’m planning to work on this as soon as I’ve managed to put 48
> hours in a day ;-)
>
>> or is someone currently working on it?
>
> I started to study the corresponding part of the spec and to design an
> algorithm 1 and 1/2 year ago, but have never had the time to finish. All
> the documentation is still on the wiki however:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/GoogleSummerOfCode2006/FloatsImplementationProgress/ImplementingSideFloats
>
>> If not, I would be interested in taking it on.
>
> You’re welcome! Switch to the fop-dev mailing list for any questions or
> discussions regarding the implementation.
>
>> Is there any particular reason that it has been left out so far?
>
> Lack of business interest, plus the fact that it’s all but trivial. It
> involves fiddling with the Knuth algorithm, both at the line and page
> levels. The code might not be ready for that, and moreover Simon Pepping
> is currently working on a branch whose goal is to mix line and page
> breaking. That might have an impact on how floats would be implemented.
>
> But that shouldn’t prevent you to start having a look if you’re willing
> to!
>
> Vincent

I guess this feature won't be implemented in the near future :( IMHO it's
very useful.
Anyway thank you for the job done.