Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jarmo Doc <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2005/08/29 22:22:29 UTC

WS design question, redirection

A design question:  I plan to have 3 instances of my web service, each
logically residing in a different resource domain and none of which has
direct access to the resources in the other 2 domains.  Clients can connect
to any of the 3 domains and get the majority of the information that they
need.  Sometimes, however, a client will request information about a
resource that's not in the local domain and will need to be redirected.
What's a good way to handle this?

I seem to have two choices:

1. have each web service act as a form of proxy, being a client to the other
domains, or
2. redirect the client himself to the other domain (and ideally authorize
him and re-issue his original request).

Architecturally I prefer option #1 but for performance reasons I need to
investigate #2.

If this were a regular web server situation, I would probably issue a
temporary redirect to the client.  What are the best options in the web
services world?  Presumably 307 redirect is not relevant (and perhaps not
even understood by WS clients?)  Do I raise a custom exception that
indicates to the client where he should redirect himself (and re-authorize
himself, and re-issue his request) to or can I somehow automate the whole
process (redirect, re-authorize, re-issue request) using SOAP headers?

Thanks very much.