Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Holger Rauch <Ho...@heitec.de> on 2000/10/30 20:53:01 UTC

Building optional.jar from Latest Ant Sources

Hi!

I've downloaded the latest version of ant (nightly build 10-30-2000), and
I'm wondering how I can compile the tasks below taskdefs/optional in a way
that I get an "optional.jar" file that I can place in ant's
"lib" directory in order to make these tasks available to ant. I know that
an "optional.jar" file is shipped with the other ant distros too, so
there probably is a way of creating one.

Thanks for any hints!

Greetings,

	Holger

RE: Building optional.jar from Latest Ant Sources

Posted by Holger Rauch <Ho...@heitec.de>.
Hello!

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> [...]
> If you downloaded the source version, then building it will be
> sufficient to include the optional tasks, which can be built (according
> to the contents of your classpath), in your ant. jar.

Thanks for pointing this out! A jar -tf indeed shows that the new taskdefs
are there:

org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/depend/Depend.class
org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/depend/constantpool/StringCPInfo.class

> However, I think we should change the current build so that ant builds
> two jars: ant.jar and optional.jar.

That would make it a bit easier to keep track of the things one is looking
for ,-)

> I guess we haven't done this to date
> because we are expecting to change the whole way that tasks are packaged
> anyway.

Well, that pretty much explains everything.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.
Holger,

You will find that many of the tasks in the optional tree are actually
included in the binary download. These are tasks which do not have a
direct dependency on outside thrid party classes. EJBJar, for example,
will be there because it invokes the EJB deployment tools through a Java
task. Alternatively some optional tasks just require a 1.2 or later VM.

If you downloaded the source version, then building it will be
sufficient to include the optional tasks, which can be built (according
to the contents of your classpath), in your ant. jar.

However, I think we should change the current build so that ant builds
two jars: ant.jar and optional.jar. I guess we haven't done this to date
because we are expecting to change the whole way that tasks are packaged
anyway.

Conor