Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/12 06:09:37 UTC

[APACHECON] Proposed Science and Healthcare Track

Hi Folks,

I went ahead and scanned the 235 or so proposals for anything Science and
Healthcare related in order to construct the proposed Science and
Healthcare Track Chris and myself intend to facilitate this year. So here
we go.
I want to make it absolutely clear that I have included one of my own
presentations below. There is a conflict of interest there.

Day 1

   - Getting Started with Apache OODT, Tom Barber

   -

   Applying Apache Hadoop to NASA’s Big Climate Data, Glenn Tamkin

   -

   Apache Tika: Cool insights into Polar Data, Annie Burgess
   -

   Streaming-OODT: Combining Apache Spark's Power with Apache OODT, Michael
   Starch
   -

   Exploring Apache Tika's Translate API to Enable Linguistic Analysis of
   Scientific Metadata through Internationalizing NASA JPL’s Physical
   Oceanographic Data Active Archive Centre, Lewis John McGibbney
   - Content extraction from images and video in Tika, Chris Mattmann

Day 2

   - Apache Airavata overview and roadmap, Suresh Marru

   -

   Programming Math in Java - Lessons from Apache Commons Math, Phil Steitz
   -

   Userfriendly workflows with Apache OODT, Tom Barber
   - Pharmacovigilance - Big Data for RealTime Drug Monitoring, Pei Chen
   - Redefining ETL pipelines with Apache technologies to accelerate
   decision-making and execution for clinical trials, Eran Withana
   - Linked Biomedical Dataspace: Extending Apache Jena to Federate Large
   Scale Open Data Repositories, Claude N. Warren, Jr.

Day 3

   -

   Development of IBM Watson with UIMA DUCC, Eddie Epstein
   -

   IPython Notebook and Apache Spark as a Unified Data Science Interface
   for Hadoop, Casey Stella
   -

   Apache UIMA BoFs, Marshall Schor
   -

   The Emergence of the Datacenter Developer, Kiersten Gaffney
   - Filtering Twitter with UIMA, Daniel Gruhl
   -

   Internet of Things, Justin McLean

Thank you folks.
Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: [APACHECON] Proposed Science and Healthcare Track

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
this is +1 super +1 Lewis. Thanks, Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
This talk was submitted as a BoF. Can you please confirm with Marshall
whether it's intended as a BoF for real, or if it's intended as a
traditional 50-minute stand-up-lecture presentation. If the former,
we'll want to fill this slot with something else, and schedule this as a
BoF.

On 02/12/2015 02:14 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Apache UIMA BoFs, Marshall Schor
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/4197

Also, have you considered any fallback talks in the event that some of
these fall through?

--Rich

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Cheers Suresh!

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/12/2015 02:14 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi Rich and Folks,
>
> Here is version 2 which is more comprehensive.
> Again, one of my own presentations is in here I want to make that clear to
> people.

I, for one, do not object to your selecting your own talk. Thanks for
this work.

--Rich