Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by marotosg <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/26 13:57:42 UTC

Amazon CloudSearch

Hi,

I am evaluating the possibility of using Amazon CloudSearch to manage Solr
insances. Reason is the price and time to manage and deploy. I am not fully
sure yet how flexible is that service. in case you need to install a
specific solr version or plug in.
Do you have any experience with it?

Would you please share any thoughts?

Thanks
Sergio

Re: Amazon CloudSearch

Posted by Sameer Maggon <sa...@measuredsearch.com>.
Hi Sergio,

CloudSearch is a Search-as-a-Service that uses SOLR underneath, though they
have a proprietary API to interact with it. Both on the document side and
query side. It won't give us ability to 'manage' Solr instances or cluster.
If you have a use cases where you want to keep on pumping data and forget
about it, good for that as it offers auto-scaling. Does not offer ability
or visibility into what's going on underneath it plus no control over
solrconfig, custom plugins, etc. No spellcheck, etc.

If you are looking for a service that provides you direct access to Solr's
APIs without having to rewrite your application, then CloudSearch is
probably not what you are looking for.

Take a look at Measured Search (www.measuredsearch.com) - It offers
Solr-as-a-Service on top of AWS, Azure and Google Cloud that allows you
direct access to Solr and ability to manage your instances. The platform is
comprised of currently three products:

1. SearchStax Cloud Manager - Allows you to deploy, manage and scale Solr.
- Provides High Availability as instances are front-ended with ELB (load
balancers).
- One time and scheduled backups.
- Cloning of deployments;
- Ability to add / remove nodes, real time log access and log archival.
- All deployments run on https, supports auth
- Enterprise version allows you to deploy & manage Solr within your AWS
account as well.
- Zookeeper deployment & setup.
- access to deploy custom JARs, etc.
- Supports Solr 4.8 and above (self serve version supports Solr 5.2.1 and
5.3.1)

2. SearchStax Pulse - Monitoring and Alerting for your Solr Clusters.
- System Level monitoring
- GC monitoring
- Search & Indexing monitoring
- Cache statistics
- Alerting on any of the above metrics at host and collection level.
- PagerDuty integration

3. SearchStax Analytics - User behavior Analytics that allows you to track
application level interactions and metrics to help you optimize your
search.
- Total searches,
- No result searches
- Click through rates
- conversion metrics for e-commerce scenarios
- query level details
- advanced version includes MRR reports, average click positions, etc.

Lastly, provides 24x7x365 Support and auto-scaling for customers that elect
for it.

Thanks,
Sameer.

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016, marotosg <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am evaluating the possibility of using Amazon CloudSearch to manage Solr
> insances. Reason is the price and time to manage and deploy. I am not fully
> sure yet how flexible is that service. in case you need to install a
> specific solr version or plug in.
> Do you have any experience with it?
>
> Would you please share any thoughts?
>
> Thanks