Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tom Manning <to...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/21 22:26:22 UTC

IMAP usage question

Hi there,

I notice that Geert Van Damme and Daniel Perry had some thoughts a few
months ago on James' IMAP support, and I'm trying to understand it a bit
better. I need a server that can act as a bridge between a proprietary
mail interface and a standard IMAP client, and I'm trying to figure out
if James' current IMAP support is sufficient, or if I'll have to modify
it/add to it myself.  Basically, I want a server that accepts IMAP
commands and translates them into proprietary commands so the client
sees an IMAP server instead of my real server interface.

Is James capable of that right now? Does anyone know what needs to be
improved in the current imap or imap2 proposals in cvs? Depending on
what needs to be done, I may be able to help with code. Is someone
already working on this outside of cvs?

Thanks!

RE: IMAP usage question

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.

At the moment the James IMAP code (IMAP2 in the proposals tree indicating
that it is the 2nd IMAP proposal, not IMAP version 2) is probably close to
what you want as it actually has very little to do with James as it uses
it's own user database format and it's own mail repository format. It has a
fairly complete IMAP4 interface and has a good test suite for the protocol.

I still don't have the time to work on the IMAP stuff which is bugging me,
but then there are only so many hours in the day.

Make sure you get the code from the Subversion repository and not the CVS
one!