Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/08 09:18:52 UTC

Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

Re: Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 09:53, kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What I was trying to do is install SVN 1.8.9 on Debian 4.4.5 with apache 2.2.
>
> But the libapache2svn file that it is supporting is 1.6.12 and not 1.8.9. so when i try to access the repositories. it shows Powered by subversion version 1.6.12(r955767).

Please make sure that you are upgrading the server (mod_dav_svn), not only the client /usr/bin/svn

Debian and generic packages are available from https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#debian

Andreas

Re: Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

Posted by kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com>.
What I was trying to do is install SVN 1.8.9 on Debian 4.4.5 with apache
2.2.

But the libapache2svn file that it is supporting is 1.6.12 and not 1.8.9.
so when i try to access the repositories. it shows *Powered by subversion
version 1.6.12(r955767).*

and I am not able to understand why is it showing this version here.

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 08:18, kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

The question and it's premise is weird, as if that information was secret or somehow unobtainable by looking it up. Debian 7 "wheezy" comes with Subversion 1.6.

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/subversion

Andreas

Re: Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

Posted by kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andreas for answering the weird question :-)

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 09:26, kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As shown in the below link, it is saying that 1.6.x is no longer supported.
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/

That is correct. However that does not change the fact of which version is currently in Debian stable, or prevent you from using it a production environment. That's kind of what a distribution does. Both svn 1.7 and 1.8 are available for Debian, stable/wheezy or otherwise.

> Please suggest

Please define what you are trying to achieve... A stable (as in debian stable) distribution package, or a newer svn, or just any?

Andreas

Re: Can anyone please inform which SVN version is the stable one to work on Debian 7.

Posted by kanupriya pathak <ka...@gmail.com>.