Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by GA...@aol.com on 2017/01/15 20:35:26 UTC

SETTINGS

I USE OPEN OFFICE ALL THE TIME---THE EXCEL SHEET, MOSTLY.  IN A RUSH  TO
MAKE CHANGES ON THE SHEET, i CLICKED SOMETING AND NOW THE FIRST PART OF THE
PAGE HAS ARROWS OR WHATEVER FORMATTING I WANT.  IT SAYS GO TO FORMATTING  AND
CLICK OPTIONS AND THEN OFF.  THERE IS NO OFF.  HOW DO I GET THESE  ANNOYING
THINGS OFF MY SHEET?  I AM JUST USEI NG AN EXCEL SHEET FOR MY  BOOKS.
PLEASE ADVISE.

                THANK  YOU,

        DOUG  GAMBICHLER

Re: SETTINGS

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 15:35 15/01/2017 -0500, Doug Gambichler wrote:
>I USE OPEN OFFICE ALL THE TIME...

Er, there's no need to shout!

>... THE EXCEL SHEET, MOSTLY.

Microsoft Excel is a part of Microsoft Office and has no connection
with OpenOffice. If you need help with Excel, you should look for it
elsewhere. Or are you talking about creating and editing spreadsheets
in OpenOffice (Calc) instead?

>IN A RUSH TO MAKE CHANGES ON THE SHEET, i CLICKED SOMETHING AND NOW
>THE FIRST PART OF THE PAGE HAS ARROWS ...

It may be that you have accidentally toggled on the Detective, which
can show which cells are used as parameters by a formula elsewhere
("precedents") and which formulae elsewhere use it as a parameter
("dependents"). As you say, these are indicated by arrows between the cells.

>IT SAYS GO TO FORMATTING AND CLICK OPTIONS AND THEN OFF. THERE IS NO OFF.

I'm not sure where you might have found that instruction.

>HOW DO I GET THESE ANNOYING THINGS OFF MY SHEET?

Go to Tools | Detective > | Remove All Traces.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: SETTINGS

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:59 16/01/2017 -0800, Girvin Herr wrote:
>On 01/15/2017 10:50 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>[...]
>>Go to Tools | Detective > | Remove All Traces.
>
>This "Detective" interested me, so I took a look at my AOO 4.1.3 for
>Linux version and it does not have a Tools | Detective option. Is
>this OS-dependent or is it not OpenOffice?

It's certainly OpenOffice. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide/Finding_and_fixing_errors
. There is no indication there of its being operating-system-dependent.

Brian Barker

Re: SETTINGS

Posted by Girvin Herr <gh...@fastmail.com>.

On 01/16/2017 01:13 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 10:59 16/01/2017 -0800, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> On 01/15/2017 10:50 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Go to Tools | Detective > | Remove All Traces.
>>
>> This "Detective" interested me, so I took a look at my AOO 4.1.3 for
>> Linux version and it does not have a Tools | Detective option. Is
>> this OS-dependent or is it not OpenOffice?
>
> It's certainly OpenOffice. See
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide/Finding_and_fixing_errors
> . There is no indication there of its being operating-system-dependent.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian,
Yes, I see it now.  I don't know how I missed it before.  This looks
like a pretty good tool to use. Thanks for pointing it out.
Girvin

Re: SETTINGS

Posted by Girvin Herr <gh...@fastmail.com>.

On 01/15/2017 10:50 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 15:35 15/01/2017 -0500, Doug Gambichler wrote:
>> I USE OPEN OFFICE ALL THE TIME...
>
> Er, there's no need to shout!
>
>> ... THE EXCEL SHEET, MOSTLY.
>
> Microsoft Excel is a part of Microsoft Office and has no connection
> with OpenOffice. If you need help with Excel, you should look for it
> elsewhere. Or are you talking about creating and editing spreadsheets
> in OpenOffice (Calc) instead?
>
>> IN A RUSH TO MAKE CHANGES ON THE SHEET, i CLICKED SOMETHING AND NOW
>> THE FIRST PART OF THE PAGE HAS ARROWS ...
>
> It may be that you have accidentally toggled on the Detective, which
> can show which cells are used as parameters by a formula elsewhere
> ("precedents") and which formulae elsewhere use it as a parameter
> ("dependents"). As you say, these are indicated by arrows between the
> cells.
>
>> IT SAYS GO TO FORMATTING AND CLICK OPTIONS AND THEN OFF. THERE IS NO
>> OFF.
>
> I'm not sure where you might have found that instruction.
>
>> HOW DO I GET THESE ANNOYING THINGS OFF MY SHEET?
>
> Go to Tools | Detective > | Remove All Traces.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian,
This "Detective" interested me, so I took a look at my AOO 4.1.3 for
Linux version and it does not have a Tools | Detective option.  Is this
OS-dependent or is it not OpenOffice?
Girvin Herr

Re: SETTINGS

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.
First of all, don't use capitals when you want help, it's perceived as if you are yelling at us.
Second OpenOffice Calc is not Excel, Excel is MicroSoft.
Third we don't know where the something function is which you clicked.
Finally it's most likely that you have accidentally the changed font.
Just save a copy of your Calc document and try to make changes on the copy.

Sent from my mobile device.