Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com> on 2012/12/01 11:31:53 UTC

[FalconJS] Code generation

Hi,

I just wanted to summarize the puke of the last 3 days. A lot of the
time developing or trying to work in things you didn't design or
create is a seriously intense research project.

Flacon and FalconJS are pretty deep when it comes to feeling confident
enough to start doing something with. The only reason the
conversations came up about alternate code generation was I have seen
it done other ways.

Gordon was kind enough to explain something about Bottom Up Rewriting
that made a lot of sense. The confusion about SWF dealt with the fact
the engineer used a class from the ABC generation package as a
template. There is a lot of extraneous garbage in the generator
classes I was trying to figure out.

It seems as the Gordon has a point about alot of the patterns already
exist for traversing a tree of AS Nodes.

So my conclusion is I'm going to learn JBurg and it's grammar, apply
that knowledge to what we have.

Now that I understand ABC has nothing to do with the actual traversal
algorithm, it will be possible to create other code targets based off
this pattern.

BTW, I was never talking about creating JS from MXML. That
conversation had a bunch of misunderstandings.

Anyway, that's it from me for a while.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [FalconJS] Code generation

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Now that I'm learning JBurg, in their news;

- quote [0]

"
*JBurg in ASC 2.0 and Apache Falcon*

Adobe's ASC 2.0 compiler (and its cousins Apache Falcon and FalconJS)
use JBurg to generate their code generator. This two year long effort
has given rise to a number of improvements in JBurg, especially
"programming in the large" constructs such as shared pattern
libraries, and greatly improved compile-time speed in the generated
pattern matchers.

Many thanks to Adobe for their vision and support for this effort!
"

I'll say it again, its funny when you realize a path. There is to much
time invested in the generator framework not to use it. It just has to
be understood and tidied up. See if there are any abstractions that
allow us to alter code generation based on compiler flags and various
other run-time variables.

One thing I am learning is ANTLR and JBurg are a natural fit. It seems
like ANTLR is now required with some of antlrs string template engine
stuff.

Mike

- [0] http://jburg.sourceforge.net/