Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2003/09/22 17:33:43 UTC

disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

just a quick heads-up that the current cvs xalan does not work all that
well with lenya. i had tried that particular xalan to track down some
other problems.

basically the handling of xslt parameters seems broken. some of them are
empty etc.

xalan 2.5.1 works fine, however.

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

[...]

> we have seen this - bug several times now. shall we make it a policy to
> avoid - in xsl parameters?
>
> +1 from me

-1 (same reason as Christian)

Andreas

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

> Could we instead set a policy to standardize on a Xalan version that
> works?

that would be the best solution, indeed. right now i don't see which one
that would be, as both 2.5.1 and cvs have their own issues. it sounds
like another of those awful trial & error procedures..

-gregor

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

[...]

> Could we instead set a policy to standardize on a Xalan version that
> works?

Don't we agree on the version that ships with the
recommended Cocoon version?

Andreas

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
"Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:

> Christian Egli wrote:
> > "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:
> >
> >>just a quick heads-up that the current cvs xalan does not work all
> >>that well with lenya. i had tried that particular xalan to track down
> >>some other problems.
> >>
> >>basically the handling of xslt parameters seems broken. some of them
> >>are empty etc.
> > Do your params contain dashes?
>
> yes, they did. one that broke was {$tab-area-prefix} in
> xslt/menu/menu2xhtml.xsl
>
> we have seen this - bug several times now. shall we make it a policy
> to avoid - in xsl parameters?
>
> +1 from me

Could we instead set a policy to standardize on a Xalan version that
works?

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When trying to get transformations to work in all processors I found you
> need the following:
>
> - set a default select:
> <xsl:param name="something" select="''"/>

Yes, we had this problem in Lenya code. But IMHO it is required by
the XSLT spec - the empty sting is probably no expression.

> - if testing a param do this:
> <xsl:if test="''=$something"/>
> Rather than:
> <xsl:if test="$something=''"/>

This is strange, indeed.

Andreas

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> writes:

> Robert Koberg wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >When trying to get transformations to work in all processors I found you
> >need the following:
> >
> >- set a default select:
> ><xsl:param name="something" select="''"/>
>
> And this is also solving the "dash problem" on Windows?

The "dash problem" as I know it is that parameters which are passed to
an xslt are empty if they contain dashes.

Last I had this problem was with some xslt code that Andreas had
written on Windows (where it seemed to work) which failed to work on
my Linux system. So I think it's rather a problem under Linux, or with
my particular Xalan instance.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

I don't know as I have never experienced this problem. Problems with dashes
in a param or variable name have nothing to do with XSLT, so saying that
they do is a red herring (at least as far as XSLT is concerned).

Best,
-Rob

p.s. any comment on my proposal for a site.xml, especially since you list it
as a RFC (even a 'no' I/we don't like this idea... my feelings will not be
hurt if you decide to tear it shreds)...

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

>"Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:
>

>>Christian Egli wrote:

>>>Do your params contain dashes?
>>>

>>yes, they did. one that broke was {$tab-area-prefix} in
>>xslt/menu/menu2xhtml.xsl
>>
>>we have seen this - bug several times now. shall we make it a policy
>>to avoid - in xsl parameters?
>>
>>+1 from me
>>

>-1
>
>Well, we have been doing it anyway in oder to avoid this bug. However
>I'd rather fix the real problem (xalan)

No harm meant, but are you sure? (anyway, it seems to be a Windows
problem ...)

> rather than set the workaround
>in concrete, i.e. policy.

We don't have to do it as policy, but as workaround ;-)

The finally "realistic" Michael :-)

Re: disapearing xslt parameters with xalan from cvs

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
"Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:

> Christian Egli wrote:
> > "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:
> >
> >>just a quick heads-up that the current cvs xalan does not work all
> >>that well with lenya. i had tried that particular xalan to track down
> >>some other problems.
> >>
> >>basically the handling of xslt parameters seems broken. some of them
> >>are empty etc.
> > Do your params contain dashes?
> >

> yes, they did. one that broke was {$tab-area-prefix} in
> xslt/menu/menu2xhtml.xsl
>
> we have seen this - bug several times now. shall we make it a policy
> to avoid - in xsl parameters?
>
> +1 from me

-1

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> just a quick heads-up that the current cvs xalan does not work all that
> well with lenya. i had tried that particular xalan to track down some
> other problems.
>
> basically the handling of xslt parameters seems broken. some of them are
> empty etc.

Yes, another issue is that passing parameters to named templates
does not work in some cases. I'm switching back and forth between
2.5.1 and a nighly build, depending on the publication I'm working
on ...

Andreas