Posted to sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org> on 2017/05/28 14:59:24 UTC

SA updates files archive

Kevin,

Do we need to keep rule update files back to 2007?  It seems like having
only the past year or even few months is all that we need.  Technically,
the only ones that need to be in the updates directory are ones that are
pointed to by the [reverse version].updates.spamassassin.org TXT DNS
records.

root@sa-vm1:/var/www/bbmass.spamassassin.org/updates# ll *.tar* | wc -l
4347

It's not a bid deal to leave things as they are but it doesn't make
sense to keep them around in the SA mirrors if they are never going to
be used by sa-update.

We would need to keep:

752902.tar.gz* for 3.1.*
895075.tar.gz* for 3.2.*
1786853.tar.gz* for 3.3.3 and greater

I would like to move all other versions of files to an archive
subdirectory that is excluded in the rsyncd.conf that are older than 1
month if that is OK with everyone else.  This could become important if
we start building new rules more than once a day.

--
Dave Jones

Re: SA updates files archive

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 5/30/2017 9:57 AM, Dave Jones wrote:
> I setup an archive dir under the updates dir that is excluded from
> rsync so we would still keep the files on the server but they would
> drop off of the rsync out to the mirrors.
>
> I haven't moved any files yet.

What I'd suggest is:

- See my "soon to be sent email" about crashplan

- Open a ticket with Infra and find out about redundancy/backups for sa-vm1.

- Only once we have sufficient backups, change the rsync as you describe
above.

Regards,

KAM

Re: SA updates files archive

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.
I setup an archive dir under the updates dir that is excluded from rsync
so we would still keep the files on the server but they would drop off
of the rsync out to the mirrors.

I haven't moved any files yet.

Dave

Re: SA updates files archive

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 5/30/2017 9:47 AM, Dave Jones wrote:
> Ok.  That's fine.
To be clear, if we can confirm better backup situation, the archive dir
idea sounds great!

Working through your other emails.  I was camping with BSA for Memorial
Day weekend.

Regards,
KAM

> On 05/30/2017 08:23 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Those files are official project release artifacts so yes, we need to
>> keep them.  And the update mirrors have served as our backups of
>> those files.
>>
>> I'd prefer it stay as is.
>>
>> Regards,
>> KAM
>>
>> On 5/28/2017 10:59 AM, Dave Jones wrote:
>>> Kevin,
>>>
>>> Do we need to keep rule update files back to 2007?  It seems like
>>> having only the past year or even few months is all that we need.
>>> Technically, the only ones that need to be in the updates directory
>>> are ones that are pointed to by the [reverse
>>> version].updates.spamassassin.org TXT DNS records.
>>>
>>> root@sa-vm1:/var/www/bbmass.spamassassin.org/updates# ll *.tar* | wc -l
>>> 4347
>>>
>>> It's not a bid deal to leave things as they are but it doesn't make
>>> sense to keep them around in the SA mirrors if they are never going
>>> to be used by sa-update.
>>>
>>> We would need to keep:
>>>
>>> 752902.tar.gz* for 3.1.*
>>> 895075.tar.gz* for 3.2.*
>>> 1786853.tar.gz* for 3.3.3 and greater
>>>
>>> I would like to move all other versions of files to an archive
>>> subdirectory that is excluded in the rsyncd.conf that are older than
>>> 1 month if that is OK with everyone else.  This could become
>>> important if we start building new rules more than once a day.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer & VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Re: SA updates files archive

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.
Ok.  That's fine.

Re: SA updates files archive