Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lóránt Pintér <lo...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/03 16:50:23 UTC

Transitive exclusions in multi-module project with Maven 2.2.1

Hi,

I have a project called Client that depends on a side-artifact of
project Server (actually, its RMI client classes; the artifact has the
classifier "rmi"), but excludes each of Server's dependencies. I also
have an assembly project called Client-assembly that depends on
project Client (and thus transitively on Server:rmi). All the projects
have a common Parent project. Everything works fine with Maven
3-alpha-5+, but I have to use Maven 2.2.1 in Hudson, and I have
problems there.

Whenever I build each project individually with Maven 2, they work
fine, but when I build the parent project, the Client-assembly project
suddenly forgets to exclude the dependencies excluded for project
Client. I cannot even work around this by repeating the exclusions
defined in project Client in project Client-assembly.

I can only "solve" the issue by forcing the plugin I use to create the
assembly (maven-webstart-plugin) to ignore all transitive
dependencies, and enumerate all the ones I actually need, but this is
extremely ugly. And I have the same problem (and "solution") with
using the maven-assembly-plugin, too.

Is there some nicer solution to get my projects built under both Maven
2 and 3 properly?

Lóránt

Re: Transitive exclusions in multi-module project with Maven 2.2.1

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:50:23PM +0100, Lóránt Pintér wrote:
> I have a project called Client that depends on a side-artifact of
> project Server (actually, its RMI client classes; the artifact has the
> classifier "rmi"), but excludes each of Server's dependencies. I also

Shouldn't the RMI stuff be factored out as a common dependency of
Client and Server?  That's what I do with CORBA which is fairly
similar.

Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.