Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Arieh Markel <Ar...@central.sun.com> on 2000/09/22 21:45:00 UTC

Found the problem with the different behavior between NT and Unix

The problem is manifested in the inability of Tomcat to serve files.

The reason for that inability is caused by the following:

	. the canonical path for a file may have a different
	  representation from that of the real path for the same file

For example, assume the file to be served is:

Its realpath is returned as:

   C:\Program Files\Sun Microsystems\StorEdge\etc\opt\SUNWesm\www\console

Its canonical path is returned as:

   C:\PROGRA~1\SUNMIC~1\StorEdge\etc\opt\SUNWesm\www\console

Which results on the function that compares (DefaultServlet on 3.1 -
util/FileUtil on 3.2) to not be able to return the file.

The type of fix that I am proposing to have is that if the
real-canonical comparison fails, to give another try with the conversion
of the appopriate portions of the canonical to the 8.3 format.

(Does anybody have a Java method to generate the appropriate 'tilde'
conversions of longer-than-9 directory/file names ?).

Has anybody ran into similar issues ?

Thanks,

Arieh