Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2016/10/04 17:19:15 UTC

ECJ and Java 9

Hi,

Does anyone have info on Java 9 support in ECJ ? This is going to be needed
for JSP support (obviously). I tested 4.7Ms [good news: it's a drop in
replacement for our current 4.5] but there's no change in that area.

Rémy

Re: ECJ and Java 9

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 5/10/2016 � 16:25, R�my Maucherat a �crit :

> Also, there's an issue with the Java 9 constant that is used in Tomcat,
> CompilerOptions.VERSION_1_9 -> CompilerOptions.VERSION_9. This creates a
> compatibility problem where the new vs old build cannot be drop in
> replacements.

The CompilerOptions.VERSION constants are just strings, the static field
could probably be replaced by "1.9" and/or "9" to preserve the
compatibility during the transition.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: ECJ and Java 9

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> Le 4/10/2016 à 19:19, Rémy Maucherat a écrit :
>
> > Does anyone have info on Java 9 support in ECJ ? This is going to be
> needed
> > for JSP support (obviously). I tested 4.7Ms [good news: it's a drop in
> > replacement for our current 4.5] but there's no change in that area.
>
> There is a Java 9 branch in the Git repository, I don't know how much
> of the new features it supports though:
>
>   http://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git/log/?h=BETA_JAVA9
>
> It looks like the beta builds have a tag starting with Y, this one is
> the latest available:
>
>   http://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git/snapshot/
> Y20160929-1000.tar.gz
>
> Thanks to bothof you.

I tested this beta build, but I don't see much difference yet. It still
cannot access the base module classes it seems (errors like:
"java.lang.Throwable cannot be resolved to a type", that cannot be normal).

Re: ECJ and Java 9

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> Le 4/10/2016 à 19:19, Rémy Maucherat a écrit :
>
> > Does anyone have info on Java 9 support in ECJ ? This is going to be
needed
> > for JSP support (obviously). I tested 4.7Ms [good news: it's a drop in
> > replacement for our current 4.5] but there's no change in that area.
>
> There is a Java 9 branch in the Git repository, I don't know how much
> of the new features it supports though:
>
>   http://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git/log/?h=BETA_JAVA9
>
> It looks like the beta builds have a tag starting with Y, this one is
> the latest available:

http://git.eclipse.org/c/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git/snapshot/Y20160929-1000.tar.gz

Here [1] and [2] you can find more information for the current development.

Violeta

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Java9
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_Core/Java9

Re: ECJ and Java 9

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 4/10/2016 � 19:19, R�my Maucherat a �crit :