Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Just <Ju...@visionsolutions.com> on 2010/01/13 18:09:10 UTC

Ajax in the layout?

Is it possible to have an Ajax request in the portal Layout?  For
example, if I wanted to a clock on the page that updates every 5 seconds
how would/can I go about doing that? (Without putting it in a portlet)
I'm thinking that I could add an AJAXAPI for doing it, but the returned
XML for those is Jetspeed proprietary.  I'd like to just return a
fragment of HTML.

Anybody have a suggestion.

Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Ajax in the layout?

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM, David Just <JustDDavidJust/Rochester/
LTI@visionsolutions.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to have an Ajax request in the portal Layout?  For
> example, if I wanted to a clock on the page that updates every 5 seconds
> how would/can I go about doing that? (Without putting it in a portlet)
> I'm thinking that I could add an AJAXAPI for doing it, but the returned
> XML for those is Jetspeed proprietary.  I'd like to just return a
> fragment of HTML.

Which version of Jetspeed are you using?

If you are using 2.1.3, best to use the decorator, just place your script
and custom html directly in there.

Nothing wrong with a portlets :-) You can even place portlets in the
decorator:

  String breadcrumbs = jetui.renderPortletWindow("jsBreadcrumbMenu",
"j2-admin::BreadcrumbMenu", rc);

With the 2.2.1 trunk, we are using templates, to have a set of portlets
repeatedly show across multiple pages without having to reference them, see
the toolbox or page navigator