Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us> on 2004/08/25 20:08:52 UTC

need a review on our reverse db tool.

it uses xslt, in ant, etc.

testing w/ mysql 4.x

any ideas very welcome

even by phone

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                   http://www.pyerotechnics.com   -
- Partner & Sr. Manager         Pyerotechnics Development, Inc. -
- +1 (443) 451-2697             500 West University Parkway #1S -
- +1 (410) 808-6646 (c)         Baltimore, Maryland  21210-3253 -
-                                                               -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Re: need a review on our reverse db tool.

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.
We have not had the lawyers work on that yet, but as it is stated in the
file, all rights are released to "members" of the OJB community.

The ides is something like the Berkley/BSD license.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Martin Kalén wrote:

> Jason Pyeron wrote:
> > any ideas very welcome
>
> What's the license status of your reverse-db attachment? Could the code be integrated into
> OJB if we find it useful? If so, I'd be happy to review and mail comments. (NB that this
> is not an offical OJB statement in any way.)
>
> Regards,
>   Martin

-                                                               -

Posted by Martin Kalén <mk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.
Thanks, we know that there are likely to be many 'non portable' issues,
etc. Also we know that the Java code is an abomination.

Our priorities are as follows:

 1) AutoBaseJDBCSchema.dtd
 2) Ant/script integration
 3) AutoBaseRepository.xsl
    a) 99% solution
    b) runtime configuration details
 4) Java code generation
    a) 99% trivial solution

The rationale is as follows:

We have many projects which 'track' against database schema changes.
These changes usually have little or no impact on program logic, but many
slight schema changes would break repository.xml, and the objects it uses,
etc. With this approach the database is free to be architected whilst the
middle-ware is developed.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Martin Kalén wrote:

> I had a quick look and it seems to be a usable tool for MySQL. However, the Java-code
> seems not very mature yet, and to make it cross-platform (RDBMS platform that is) I think
> you will end up with something very similar to the Jakarta Commons SQL-project.

I looked at the commons SQL project, the database dumper might be able to
use it to generate the schema.xml. But this does not address what might be
missing from AutoBaseJDBCSchema.dtd to assist in generating
repository.xml, and java code in general.

> In order to make best use of all efforts, I think it's best if you try out commons-sql and
> integrate enhancements there. Eg. the idea with a first step of verbose XML schema-output
> with XSLT transform is not at all bad and could possibly be a part of commons-sql, with
> plug-in XSLT for different products like one for OJB descriptor files.

That project does have an advantage of inertia, but it will not get
addressed until, the database dumper fails, by us; unless we get really
bored and have too much money to burn.

> Exceptions need to be checked, not all JDBC-drivers support all metadata statements
> (Oracle chokes on getJDBCMajorVersion), schemas are not supported by all platforms etc.
> The static HashMap "s" with type-mappings between JDBC-types and textual strings for the
> schema dump also needs to be somewhat tweaked for different platforms.

We will make small patches to the existing code, based on emails, and
bugs (including new RDBMs issues.)

 http://projects.pyerotechnics.com/buglist.cgi?product=proj-Cordova

I guess what we are looking for are comments on the dtd, repository.xsl,
and some code generation ideas...

Sincerely,

Jason Pyeron

-                                                               -

Posted by Martin Kalén <mk...@apache.org>.
Greetings,
  thank you for submitting your work for review.

[...]

See http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/sql/ for more info and how to get the source
code.

The jakarta-commons-sandbox/sql code and some parts of OJB already overlap to some extent,
I'm afraid it will be even more places to keep JDBC type-mappings in synch if we integrate
yet another reverse-db tool in OJB.

Note that this is my very personal view and not a -1, rather -0.

Regards,
  Martin