Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Sudeep Pandey <pa...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/13 06:00:04 UTC

HBase Question

Hello:

If I am unable to do JAVA coding and prefer HBase shell for HBase
works/interactions, will I be able to do all operations?
i.e.

Is JAVA coding (Client API) needed to do something in HBase which is not
possible by HBase shell commands?

Thank You,
Sudeep Pandey
Ph: 5107783972

Re: HBase Question

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
We usually try to have a shell way of doing all public facing operations.
In particular, I'd say if something shows up in the ref guide[1] without a
shell way to do it, I'd consider it a bug. The one big caveat is that the
shell is not performant for doing data inserts or fetching. Those functions
are really only set up in the shell for works-at-all operational testing.

Would working in a scripting language like python be easier? We have a
couple of options for accessing HBase from non-JVM languages.

[1]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html

--
Sean

Re: HBase Question

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Have you looked at the REST API? Can that be an option for you?

Re: HBase Question

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Meh.
Go to Hive instead.

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Abraham Tom <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you are comfortable with SQL
> I would look into Phoenix
> http://phoenix.apache.org/index.html
>

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Sudeep Pandey <pa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> If I am unable to do JAVA coding and prefer HBase shell for HBase
>> works/interactions, will I be able to do all operations?
>> i.e.
>>
>> Is JAVA coding (Client API) needed to do something in HBase which is not
>> possible by HBase shell commands?
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Sudeep Pandey
>> Ph: 5107783972