Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@ispsoft.de> on 2004/01/21 11:41:28 UTC

Request for graduation

Hi,

with the approval of the other committers and our mentor (Dims), I
am asking for graduation of the JaxMe project to ws.apache.org.

Below you'll find:

* A list of open issues. We consider them as sufficiently
  unimportant for graduation.
* A history of what we did, as relevant for the incubation. See
  also the JaxMe status file on

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/site/projects/jaxme.cwiki?content-type=text%2Fplain

Open issues:

* Noel J. Bergman has pointed out, that we should change the
  layout of the "dist" directory slightly. We will do so with
  the next release. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=541589

* We are using hsqldb.jar as a part of the test suite. hsqldb.jar is
  not in the CVS, nor is it a part of source or binary distribution.

  The status of hsqldb.jar is open for us, as there seems to be
  uncertainty even within general@incubator. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&by=thread&from=558595
  and http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=142&msgNo=1692.

* The developers PGP keys aren't part of any web of trust. Mainly an
  issue of physical separation between the developers.

JaxMe history in incubator:

2003-09-23  Initial checkin of the whole source tree.
            All Java source files had the proper header with
            the ASF, package names had been changed to
            org.apache.ws.jaxme and below.

            See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=504635

            Copyright is assigned to the ASF. (Had a BSD license
            anyways.) See
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jaxme/JaxMe2/docs/Design.html?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.6

            CLA's of the developers are on file.

2003-09-24  JaxMe product is up on Bugzilla. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=504644

2003-10-08  Proper LICENSE files have been attached to all jar
            files. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=518824

2003-10-21  Integration into Gump is working. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=518880

2003-10-22  New committer (Ias) accepted by vote.

2003-11-05  Active work is ongoing to integrate a first part of JaxMe
            (the XML Schema Parser) into Axis. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=525648

2003-11-06  First public snapshot available under the Incubator hat.
            See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=526436

            The snapshot is available on
            http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/downloads.cgi . MD5 keys
            and gpg signatures are added.

2003-11-20  Besides Eyebrowse, another mailing list archive is available
            at marc.theaimsgroup.com. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&by=thread&from=542236

2003-12-15  Status file is in active maintenance. See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&by=thread&from=558595

2003-12-17  JAXB TCK will be available for JaxMe. (We're far away
            from compliance to the whole specification, but at least
            we'll know how much. :-)

2003-12-20  The name "JaxMe" was checked against trademark issues. See

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org&msgNo=

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 01:15, Malte S. Stretz wrote:

>> Where do I find that module? At least via anoncvs I can't find it and
>> (I  think) I have only SVN and no CVS access.
>
> Crap.  Ok, just for the record, the SA guys have been ginea pigs with
> respect to SVN only accounts.  It looks like it's too early in the game
> for that, so I propose we create the matching unix accounts aswell.
> We'll repeat the experiment when we have more services in place and
> more projects in SVN (and at least the committers module).
>
> This will allow them to update the status file in Incubator, aswell as
> access the committer CVS module.

Eminently sensible whilst there are modules in CVS that need to be
accessed by all committers.  There are also things like access to web
sites for updates etc. that I would have thought unix accounts would be
useful for?
Cheers,
     Berin

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 22.01.2004, at 01:23, Sander Striker wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 01:15, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
>> On Thursday 22 January 2004 00:34 CET Erik Abele wrote:
>>> Indeed and if someone is really interested in meeting other
>>> German/Austrian/Swiss/etc. ASF fellows, he/she should have a look at
>>> /docs/de-meeting in the committers CVS module. (only 2003 stuff there
>>> right now but this will change...)
>>
>> Where do I find that module? At least via anoncvs I can't find it and
>> (I
>> think) I have only SVN and no CVS access.

Hah, good point!

> Crap.  Ok, just for the record, the SA guys have been ginea pigs with
> respect to SVN only accounts.  It looks like it's too early in the game
> for that, so I propose we create the matching unix accounts aswell.
> We'll repeat the experiment when we have more services in place and
> more projects in SVN (and at least the committers module).
>
> This will allow them to update the status file in Incubator, aswell as
> access the committer CVS module.

+1

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Thursday 22 January 2004 00:34 CET Erik Abele wrote:
> Indeed and if someone is really interested in meeting other
> German/Austrian/Swiss/etc. ASF fellows, he/she should have a look at
> /docs/de-meeting in the committers CVS module. (only 2003 stuff there
> right now but this will change...)

Where do I find that module? At least via anoncvs I can't find it and (I
think) I have only SVN and no CVS access.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Jeudi, 22 jan 2004, à 00:34 Europe/Zurich, Erik Abele a écrit :

> ...Indeed and if someone is really interested in meeting other
> German/Austrian/Swiss/etc. ASF fellows, he/she should have a look at
> /docs/de-meeting in the committers CVS module. (only 2003 stuff there
> right now but this will change...)

and FYI, next week an informal meeting of Cocooners will take place in
Bern, Switzerland, see:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonUserGroupSwitzerland

-Bertrand

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

crosssigned keys as graduation requirement (Re: Request for graduation)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> IIRC at the last count i was the biggest offender at apache for this (in
> terms of isolated releases: releases that i've signed with a signature
> that is isolated).

I thought I was; damn :D.

I suggest we don't make this an absolute requirement of graduation.
While it'd be good to be more conservative about signatures, large parts
of apache aren't at the moment. So I'm not sure its an issue the
Incubator needs to solve...more something for the entire ASF.

IMHO!

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

RE: Request for graduation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> > * The developers PGP keys aren't part of any web of trust. Mainly an
> >   issue of physical separation between the developers.

> interesting requirement, this one.

> IIRC the consensus is that only face-to-face meetings are really the
> only method good enough to establish trust but i don't think i've ever
> knowingly met another apache committer face-to-face.

Alternatives have been discussed, and *IF* we are going to make it an
Incubator requirement, then we've got to come to a decision.  This is an
ASF-wide issue.  I was "an offender" until November when Dion Gillard,
myself and Neil Graham all met up at a conference.

	--- Noel

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 21 Jan 2004, at 10:41, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

<snip>

> * The developers PGP keys aren't part of any web of trust. Mainly an
>   issue of physical separation between the developers.

interesting requirement, this one.

IIRC at the last count i was the biggest offender at apache for this
(in terms of isolated releases: releases that i've signed with a
signature that is isolated).

IIRC the consensus is that only face-to-face meetings are really the
only method good enough to establish trust but i don't think i've ever
knowingly met another apache committer face-to-face. i'm not really
sure how (at the moment) the incubator expects the incubatees to meet
this requirement (at least before apache gets that key manager up and
running).

maybe what would be enough is that all developers have openPGP
compatible keys with public keys uploaded to public servers with
fingerprints public available from the ASF infrastructure (maybe on a
public ASF web page). of course, this last bit might be a bad plan
since some might say the ASF would be vouching for the authenticity of
the fingerprints...

- robert

Re: Request for graduation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

RE: Request for graduation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> with the approval of the other committers and our mentor (Dims), I
> am asking for graduation of the JaxMe project to ws.apache.org.

Reviewing the JaxMe status, the only real concern that I would have is the
size of the Community.  You appear to have exactly 3 Committers, which is a
bare minimum.

Does it make sense to contact folks like Matthew Hawthorne
<ma...@phreaker.net>, Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>,
Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>, and lists like
commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org, the DB lists, etc.?  I envision JaxMe tying
into such things as Configuration, DB, SOAP, XMTP, etc., as a core
technology.

I am simply expressing that the JaxMe community size gives me some concern
for its long term stability.  Basically, I just want to make sure that we
are not allowing a project to leave and still be at risk of being orphaned.

This is why I comment on how a TLP is structured.  If a TLP manages itself
as a single Project that has multiple component projects, all of which are
everyone's collective responsibility, then I see less risk of a project
being orphaned.

How do you, Dims and Ias see the risk of JaxMe being orphaned?

	--- Noel

RE: Request for graduation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.