Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/08/19 20:02:44 UTC

BugRat Report #27 has been filed.

Bug report #27 has just been filed.

   <http://localhost:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/27>

REPORT #27 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: non-critical
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 3.2 and higher
   JVM Release: Any
   Operating System: Any
   OS Release: Any
   Platform: Any

Synopsis:
Altering or deleteing cookies in a loadbalanced environment doesn't always work.

I have two servers with identical servlets on both doing load balancing
(1 JVM per server). For this example consider A1 to be servlet A running
on server 1 and so on, B2 to be servlet B on server 2 etc.

<code>

A1 -> set cookie to (say) abc=20
B2 -> reads from the cookie. gets abc=20. correct.
C2 -> deletes the cookie (setMaxAge to 0)
C2 -> sets a new cookie abc=30
C2 -> reads from the cookie. gets abc=30. correct.
B1 -> reads from the cookie. gets abc=20 <---------------- bug.
B2 -> reads form the cookie. gets abc=30. correct.

</code>

I'm using mod_jserv.so to do the load balancing. using netscape 4.73 to
access the servlets and tomcat 3.2b2 with blackdown JDK 1.2.2FCS on
redhat linux 6.2 kernel 2.2.16-3.

I cant offer any insight into whats causing it...AFAIK this behaviour was
not present in 3.1 and changing the JDK doesnt help. it only occurs with
load balancing and not with the regular non load balanced operation. It
doesnt affect me any more since i've worked around it and dont care
either way....but it shouldnt really be present anyway.
Any comments/insights ?