Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> on 2005/11/04 10:57:25 UTC

Re: 10.1.2.1 release

Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:48 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
>> The ksh scripts work fine on Solaris (tested tar and zip).
>
> Great. (sort of :-) )
>
>> I have found another issue with them, tough. When you just put the
>> script directory in your path and type 'ij.ksh', most unices will use
>> /bin/sh instead of ksh. Under Linux and Cygwin this is fine because
>> /bin/sh actually is Bash, which supports all the ksh commands used in
>> the scripts. Under Solaris and BSD /bin/sh is not Bash, and therefore
>> the scripts fail.
>
> Wouldn't a #! be sufficient? I guess you never know for sure...

The problem with #! for ksh scripts is that ksh might be installed in
different paths on different platforms. On Solaris it would be
/bin/ksh, on FreeBSD /usr/local/bin/ksh, on NetBSD /usr/pkg/bin/ksh,
on Debian /bin/pdksh. #!/bin/sh is portable, I think, but it's not ksh
(if that's a problem).

>> I'll file a JIRA issue on this and attach a patch.
>>
>> Sorry I didn't bring it up earlier. (The thing is, I have never
>> actually used the scripts.)
>
> Can we agree that this is not a showstopper for 10.1.2.1, considering
> that this was an issue for 10.1.1.0?

Yes, it is absolutely not a showstopper.

> I agree that it would be nice to
> fix so that it works 'out-of-the-box' for everyone, but at some point
> you need to make a cutoff for fixes, no matter how small. Personally,
> I think that this is something that can wait for 10.1.3 and/or 10.2,
> and there are other suggestions completely besides scripts (see
> Lance's mail about using Ant).
>
> If there are no objections, I think we should target DERBY-667 and
> DERBY-677 for 10.1.3.0/10.2.0.0 and continue forward with releasing
> 10.1.2.1.

Agreed.

--
Knut Anders