Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Merlin <me...@fastmail.fm> on 2007/08/03 22:05:22 UTC

Web access zu subversion repository through apache

Hi there,

I am new to subversion and just successfully installed it as stand alone
deamon and created the repository. After checking all the files in, I
found a mayor problem which I do hope somebody here could help me with.

Until now I was developing a LAMP application on a suse machine. After I
was satisfied with the results of the development, I tar ziped the
entire folder uploaded it to the live machine and installed it there.

Now that I use subversion, there is one mayor problem:
On the development server I can not access the files in the repository
with apache, since I do not find those files. Where are they living?

Another problem is that since I can not find the files, I can not tar
zip them and upload them to the live server.

Can somebody give me a hint where to find them and how to set this up to
get it working?

Thank you for any help,

Merlin

Re: Web access zu subversion repository through apache

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 3, 2007, at 17:05, Merlin wrote:

> I am new to subversion and just successfully installed it as stand
> alone deamon and created the repository. After checking all the
> files in, I found a mayor problem which I do hope somebody here
> could help me with.
>
> Until now I was developing a LAMP application on a suse machine.
> After I was satisfied with the results of the development, I tar
> ziped the entire folder uploaded it to the live machine and
> installed it there.
>
> Now that I use subversion, there is one mayor problem:
> On the development server I can not access the files in the
> repository with apache, since I do not find those files. Where are
> they living?

You may want to read this:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#website-auto-update

> Another problem is that since I can not find the files, I can not
> tar zip them and upload them to the live server.
>
> Can somebody give me a hint where to find them and how to set this
> up to get it working?

As Kevin already said, you probably want "svn export" here.

You also probably want to spend a weekend reading through the book
online

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/index.html

or its printed version, or a different Subversion book.

Re: Web access zu subversion repository through apache

Posted by Kevin Grover <ke...@kevingrover.net>.
On 8/3/07, Merlin <me...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to subversion and just successfully installed it as stand alone
> deamon and created the repository. After checking all the files in, I
> found a mayor problem which I do hope somebody here could help me with.
>
> Until now I was developing a LAMP application on a suse machine. After I
> was satisfied with the results of the development, I tar ziped the
> entire folder uploaded it to the live machine and installed it there.
>
> Now that I use subversion, there is one mayor problem:
> On the development server I can not access the files in the repository
> with apache, since I do not find those files. Where are they living?

These are RTFM issues.  The SVN server manages a database.  The files
in that database are NOT meant for human mucking.

> Another problem is that since I can not find the files, I can not tar
> zip them and upload them to the live server.
>
> Can somebody give me a hint where to find them and how to set this up to
> get it working?

You _can_ check them out (or export them) on the server, and then tar
up the output.

svn co svn://server/repo/trunk outdir
OR
svn export svn://server/repo/trunk outdir

Where
server = your server machine
repo = name of you repository
outdir = directory (which will be created) for output files

(You may need to supply a user name if the account you use on the
server is not a valid subversion user: --user username)

NOTE: The export command does NOT create the .svn subdirectories (so
it's not really a working copy).

Another option: cd into the apache htdocs tree where the deployed
version lives, and check out and in-place copy
cd /var/apache/httpd/web/path/to/my/app
svn co svn://server/repo/trunk .        # NOTICE the . at the end

Now, you can just do an update in the working copy on the server.
NOTE: You need to look into this before doing it: make sure your trunk
is always stable, disable the .svn directories from apache access,
etc...

- kevin