Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Carl Brewer <ca...@vivitec.com.au> on 2004/01/05 04:51:26 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache2, CGI.pm, IE and smart quotes

G'day Robert,

Robert Andersson wrote:

> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>>Is it actually IE that's doing the breaking?  We've found the
>>broken encoding, but are confused, because as far as we've been able
>>to test, it does work fine in apache 1.3.
>

> A question though. Does this only affect forms who use multipart/form-data
> encoding? These were the only forms I had problems with.

yes.  It works ok with a normal form, I'm only able to
see the fault when I use multipart/form-data encoding.

Here's my test page :

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI;

my $q = new CGI;

#print $q->header('text/html');
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

my $hidden = "hidden";
my $text = "text";
my $checkbox;

if ($q->param('hidden')) {
     $hidden = $q->param('hidden');
     $text   = $q->param('text');
     $checkbox = $q->param('checkbox');
}

print qq {

<FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" action="testform.pl">

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="text" VALUE="$text">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="hidden" VALUE="$hidden">
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="checkbox" VALUE="checkbox">

<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="run">

</FORM>

};

my @names = $q->param;
foreach my $name (@names) {
     my $param = $q->param($name);
     print "$name : $param<BR>\n";
}

And if I feed it smartquotes stuff from winword via IE 5.5, it does
exactly as you describe for apache 2, but is ok for apache 1.3.

So in some way, apache 1.3 must be dealing with it, but 2.0(.48)
is broken, or at least, not having whatever it takes to deal with the
IE breakage.

I can't sniff the traffic all that well, as I don't really know how
to do it, but is this something that should/could go into an apache 2
bug report?  I don't think we'd be the only site that's running into
this problem, we're just pretty keen to get all our (complex!)
stuff onto apache2 :)

Carl

--
=======================
Vivitec Pty. Ltd.

Re: [users@httpd] apache2, CGI.pm, IE and smart quotes

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Carl Brewer wrote:
> Robert Andersson wrote:
> > Carl Brewer wrote:
> >>Is it actually IE that's doing the breaking?  We've found the
> >>broken encoding, but are confused, because as far as we've been able
> >>to test, it does work fine in apache 1.3.
> >
> > A question though. Does this only affect forms who use
multipart/form-data
> > encoding? These were the only forms I had problems with.
>
> yes.  It works ok with a normal form, I'm only able to
> see the fault when I use multipart/form-data encoding.

It has been awhile...

> Here's my test page :
>
> ...snip...
>
> And if I feed it smartquotes stuff from winword via IE 5.5, it does
> exactly as you describe for apache 2, but is ok for apache 1.3.

I have not tested in 1.3, but if I find time I might try to investigate if
it does indeed manage to recover from the corruption.

That is not very hard, use Ethereal: http://www.ethereal.com/

> but is this something that should/could go into an apache 2
> bug report?

As it is not a bug with Apache, you should not file it as a 'bug' bug
report. But, if it can be determined that Apache 1.3 is proof that this
corruption can be corrected, it might be worth considering filing an
'enhancement' bug report. We'll need to investigate more first.

Regards,
Robert Andersson