Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/07/08 14:05:24 UTC

Re: svn commit: r2393 - /dev/uima/eclipse-update-site/uimaj/

Sorry for that. I was just trying to build the update site locally...

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 7/8/2013 2:28 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Am 08.07.2013 19:40, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> Ahh, I remember now...
>>
>> (It's documented here:
>> http://uima.apache.org/eclipse-update-site.html
>> scroll down to "How the update site build works".
>>
>> The basic idea: an update site typically consists of plugins and 1 (or more)
>> features, at various levels.  (I know, Peter, you were suggesting a separate
>> update site - however this is for the more conventional way these are laid out).
>
> No problem, you have already convinced me ;-)
> I will also adapt the ruta site in the next release. Wouldn't it look strange
> if there are two uima-* folders without version and many ruta folder with
> versions?
>

>> The build process takes the new version of these, and essentially "appends"
>> these to the existing site.  Since our release distributions are now managed by
>> the relatively new svn: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist (see
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution_dist ), the basic
>> technique used is:
>>
>> 1) do a remote svn copy (actually a delete / copy since svn won't copy over
>> existing things) from the "release" spot to the "dev" spot.  (Note that this
>> doesn't do a real data copy, but rather just some svn meta data - so it's very
>> cheap).
>>
>> 2) check this out into the trunk .../target build spot - so the local build
>> starts with the existing update site.
>>
>> 3) add the local build results to this.
>>
>> I see your point, though; we should probably only do this "full" kind of build
>> when apache-release is true.   When it isn't, we could skip the dev spot
>> manipulation.  Do you agree?
>
> Yes.
>
> We are currently building some eclipse-based software which depends on the new
> uimaj stuff. It would be good if I can create an update site without changing
> the parent-pom :-)

OK.  Feel free to override what the parent-pom is giving you in your local
version of the uimaj-parent-pom, for a temporary workaround.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
OK, this is now fixed in the UIMA-wide parent pom version 6-SNAPSHOT.

To use it, change the uimaj-eclipse-update-site POM to reference this as its parent.

(It doesn't use the uimaj-parent as the parent, because this update site
actually is also used for uima-as, which adds on a feature to the existing CDE
plugin).

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.