Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Denis McLaughlin <de...@cyberus.ca> on 2004/06/04 06:05:59 UTC

problem with modifying bundled plugins in rc3

Hi,

  I've begun to use Maven RC3, and have noticed a problem when trying to
use a modified version of one of the plugins bundled with RC3.

  I've been discussing fixes to the javadoc plugin on the list.  The
patched javadoc plugin wasn't in RC3, but that's cool, I'm sure it'll be
in the next release.  However, because I need the new functionality, I
had to patch the javadoc plugin that came with RC3.

  So I took a copy of the maven-javadoc-plugin-1.5.jar from
MAVEN_HOME/plugins, unjarred it, modified the plugin.jelly file to get
it to use maven.compile.src.set, rejarred it as
maven-javadoc-plugin-1.5-dm1.jar and put it on my repository
(maven.repo.remote).  Then I went into my project and changed the
project.xml to refer to my modified javadoc plugin.

  When I then ran a clean or a build, maven would install both the
vanilla 1.5 plugin and my modified plugin in ~/.maven/plugins.  However,
when I actually executed the javadoc:generate goal, it used the goal as
described by the vanilla 1.5 plugin, rather than using my modified
plugin.  This was in spite of my having made no mention in any
project.xml files to the vanilla plugin, I was only specifying a
dependency on my modified plugin.

  After playing with it, I found the following:
 - for any goal that was in the vanilla 1.5 plugin, but not in my
modified plugin, the goal from the vanilla plugin would be used
 - for any goal that was in my modified plugin, but not in the vanilla
1.5 plugin, the goal from my modified plugin would be used
 - for any goal that was in both the vanilla 1.5 plugin and in my
modified plugin, the goal from the vanilla plugin would be used

  To work around this problem, I deleted the vanilla 1.5 plugin from
MAVEN_HOME/plugins: then only my modified plugin would be installed into
~/.maven, and the correct goal would be run.

  Anything I'm doing wrong?  If this sounds like an unreported bug, I'll
open a jira against it.

Denis

Re: problem with modifying bundled plugins in rc3

Posted by Denis McLaughlin <de...@cyberus.ca>.
  Alrighty, thanks for the response.  :)

Denis

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.