Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/27 15:08:01 UTC

Cutting 3.8.0 release

Hello ZooKeepers,
I believe that the master branch is in good shape.

I would like to start the release procedure for 3.8.0.

This is the list of issues for 3.8.0
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ZOOKEEPER%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.8.0

We recently addressed all of the CVEs by updating some key
dependencies, like Netty, and moving away from Log4j1 (we switched to
LogBack)

If no one has objections I will start the release procedure on Monday

Regards

Enrico

Re: Cutting 3.8.0 release

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 2:29 PM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il Ven 4 Feb 2022, 19:27 Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>
> > The branches, including 3.8.0, are still failing the owasp check due to
> > netty-tcnative
> >

> https://ci-hadoop.apache.org/view/ZooKeeper/job/zookeeper-multi-branch-owasp/job/branch-3.8.0/3/console
> > I see this jira was closed:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-4462
> > and I can't find any other - what's the plan on addressing this? I'm not
> > familiar with this dependency, has anyone dug into this?
> >

> I am sorry.
> I saw the jenkins job and I did not report it to the list.

No worries at all Enrico, appreciate your efforts.

> I closed the issue without adding the exclusion.
>
> I checked some of those CVEs, and they seem to be not directly related to
> that version in particular.
>
> I have upgraded to the latest version that is available.
>
> Also I think that we are not using that library directly as we are not
> using Netty native TLS support. We should include the Netty Boring SSL
> library and activate time.
>
> We should add the exclusion.
>
> I believe that the release candidate is safe
>
> Thanks for reporting this

NP. I also see a number of JIRA that are now invalid, iiuc. Could you
review/close/address as appropriate? They are all relative to netty CVE in
ZK:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ZOOKEEPER%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20and%20summary%20~%20%22netty%20cve*%22%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Thanks!

Patrick