Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2015/09/13 00:09:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Calcite from the Apache Incbuator

The Calcite community has established consensus and held a
successful vote with 20 +1 votes in favor of proposing
graduation to a top-level project, including 12 votes from
committers and 6 votes from IPMC members.

Here are: the discussion on the dev list [1], vote thread
[2] and result [3]. Also relevant are the incubation status
page [4] and a thread on this list requesting review of
whether Calcite met the criteria to graduate[5].

We propose that Calcite is ready to become a top-level
project. If this discussion reaches consensus we will move
to a formal vote.

Below is our proposed resolution.

Julian Hyde, on behalf of Calcite PPMC

[1] http://s.apache.org/ZPC
[2] http://s.apache.org/rvB
[3] http://s.apache.org/sv
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/calcite.html
[5] http://s.apache.org/itP

- - - snip - - -

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
public, related to parsing and planning queries on data in a
wide variety of formats.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Calcite
Project", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of
the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Calcite Project be and hereby is
related to parsing and planning queries on data in a wide
variety of formats; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache
Calcite" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors
as the chair of the Apache Calcite Project, and to have
primary responsibility for management of the projects within
the scope of responsibility of the Apache Calcite Project;
and be it further

Apache Calcite Project:

* Alan Gates <gates at apache dot org>
* Aman Sinha <amansinha at apache dot org>
* Ashutosh Chauhan <hashutosh at apache dot org>
* James R. Taylor <jamestaylor at apache dot org>
* Jacques Nadeau <jacques at apache dot org>
* Jesús Camacho Rodríguez <jcamacho at apache dot org>
* Jinfeng Ni <jni at apache dot org>
* John Pullokkaran <jpullokk at apache dot org>
* Julian Hyde <jhyde at apache dot org>
* Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk at apache dot org>
* Steven Noels <stevenn at apache dot org>
* Ted Dunning <tdunning at apache dot org>
* Vladimir Sitnikov <vladimirsitnikov at apache dot org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Julian Hyde be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Calcite,
to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of
the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation
until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Calcite Project be and hereby is
tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
Incubator Calcite podling; and be it further

Incubator Calcite podling encumbered upon the Apache
Incubator Project are hereafter discharged.

- - - end - - -

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Calcite from the Apache Incbuator

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding). Good luck!

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I’m hearing positive noises, so I will start a formal vote.

Julian

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
I'm following the Calcite project since before it entered the Apache
Incubator (when it was called Optiq) and as far as I can tell, I think it
has developed very well and is ready to graduate.

It has a very active and diverse community. Most of them come from projects
depending on Calcite, such as Hive, Phoenix, Drill, Kylin and Samza. Also
other projects outside Apache (Cascading) are using it.
I think this structure ensures that the project is not controlled by a
single entity. I currently see no risk for this to happen.
Releases happen frequently and with good quality, there is more than one
release manager.

I'm not a IPMC member, but I would recommend them to propose Calcite for
graduation to the board as it is a great addition for the ASF ;)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding) good luck!

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect