Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2015/08/20 15:57:29 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Improvements in karaf feature handling

I think this general problem already has a clean solution.

I'd like to keep features transitively closed, so that they can easily be
installed without any additional requirements.
To open them up, it's just a matter of specifying the dependency="true"
flag on the required features.
The resolver will then only use them as one possible way to solve the
requirements expressed by other bundles.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
The problem is that we create an artificial dependency on a feature
name/version and btw a dependency that is completely unnecesary.
You say that a feature should be transitively closed to be easy
installable. I think we can have easy installation without that.

If karaf knows that one feature can provide the needed requirements then
karaf can be set to automatically install it.
So we can keep the feature clean of the strict dependency on a feature
and still have the ease of use.

On the other hand I like the validation aspect at build time. Again I
think it can be done without the feature being transitively closed.
We can just provide the needed feature in the pom so our new feature can
be validated without having the hard dependency on it in the feature itself.

Btw. I had this problem for the cxf http transport.
it requires the servlet API but I did not want to create a feature
dependency on the http feature as it marks an implementation. There was
also no feature for just the servlet api. So in the end I embedded the
servlet api into the bundle. Unfortunately this creates rewirings on
karaf 4 as pax web of course also provides the servlet api.

If we would allow open features we could simply leave the cxf http
feature open in regard to the servlet api import and karaf provides it
at runtime by installing the http feature.

Similarly for the aries jpa feature. It needs the jta api but it should
not have a dependency on an aribtrarily feature named persistence-api.
Instead it simply has the well known package import javax.transaction.
This is much better than the feature depdendency as it only relies on a
package defined in a standard.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [Discuss] Improvements in karaf feature handling

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, it's what I'm explaining in the blog and show how the features
resolver can use Cave to resolve the "requirements".

Thanks Guillaume !

Regards
JB

--