Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Vijayakumar <Vi...@works.gov.bh> on 2010/04/27 15:37:47 UTC

Problem with linux

Hi There,
I try to use log4j in my application, here is my property file

log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n
log4j.rootLogger=debug, stdout

I see all INFO and DEBUG messages in local windows system, while I move my application to linux system I see only the very first line of the log message, rest of the line are not displayed.
What might be the problem, kindly help me out.
Regards,
Viajay

________________________________

DISCLAIMER
*******************
This e-mail message and any file(s) transmitted with it are solely for the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and any attachments from your system. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. Ministry of Works (MOW), or any other related subsidiary, entities or a person does not accept liability for any damage caused by this e-mail. Internet communication cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions

Re: Problem with linux

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <no...@gmail.com>.
Den 27/04/10 15.37, Vijayakumar skrev:
> I see all INFO and DEBUG messages in local windows system, while I move my application to linux system I see only the very first line of the log message, rest of the line are not displayed.
> What might be the problem, kindly help me out.

Use Wordpad instead of Notepad to view the log file.

--
   Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen  "...plus... Tubular Bells!"

RE: Problem with linux

Posted by "Baskaradoss, B - SPLXM" <Ba...@klm.com>.
Hi Vijay,

Here's how s my log4j looks like,

Like below I made the debug to true, Can you tell me in which log I can check, I have server.log ( since our AS is jboss ), but there is no such info about log4j other than resource: log4j.xml configured. It fails to roll over sometimes but there is no such info why it is failing to roll over, And I have console.log..

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">

   <!-- ================================= -->

   <!-- Preserve messages in a local file -->

   <!-- ================================= -->

   <!-- A time/date based rolling appender -->

   <appender name="FILE" class="org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender">

      <errorHandler class="org.jboss.logging.util.OnlyOnceErrorHandler"/>

      <param name="File" value="${jboss.server.log.dir}/server.log"/>

      <param name="Append" value="false"/>

      <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->

      <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>

      <!-- Rollover at the top of each hour

      <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH"/>

      -->

         <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->

         <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>

         <!-- The full pattern: Date MS Priority [Category] (Thread:NDC) Message\n

         <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5r %-5p [%c] (%t:%x) %m%n"/>

          -->

      </layout>

   </appender>

.

.

.

.

.

Regards,

Balaji

Posted by Vijayakumar <Vi...@works.gov.bh>.
Hi Balaji,

RE: Problem with linux

Posted by "Baskaradoss, B - SPLXM" <Ba...@klm.com>.
Hi,

RE: Problem with linux

Posted by Bender Heri <hb...@ergonomics.ch>.

RE: Problem with linux

RE: Problem with linux

Posted by Vijayakumar <Vi...@works.gov.bh>.
Hi Reddy,
Thanks for your reply. I am using log4j-1.2.8.jar, the properties files are loaded from the classpath I do not load the file.
In Linux log4j is loaded, but prints only the very first line of the log message and stops.
Regards,
Vijay

Posted by "Reddy, Ramachandra" <RR...@firstmarblehead.com>.
Check if you have different log4j.jar in your classpath on linux
machine.
I guess log4j-1.4.jar and above supports only log4j.xml and not
log4j.properties.

If log4j.properties try loading it as
	PropertyConfigurator.configure(logFileURL);

If log4j.xml try loading it with
		DOMConfigurator.configure(logFileURL);

Most likely you have higher version of log4j in your linux
environment.So try to add log4j.xml and use this line of code
		DOMConfigurator.configure(logFileURL);
And see if it works.