Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2022/11/20 11:33:24 UTC

Geronimo future if any

Hi all,

It's been a couple of months since it started. It never really landed but
it's getting more and more obvious that there is absolutely no desire to
keep the Geronimo project.

The goal of this email isn't really to discuss the reasons or argue if it
should or not disappear, but more to discuss the impacts for TomEE itself.
If you want to argue or discuss, you are more than welcome to do it on the
Geronimo mailing list.

We do use from the Geronimo project (not exhaustive list, but good start)

- specs jars - they are mostly outdated and not sure anyone will do the
jakarta translation. Is it still useful now that Jakarta is at Eclipse to
have our own APIs? (used by other projects at Apache)

- Activation and Mail - maybe a good opportunity to create a
tomee-activation and a tomee-mail project and take the source for jakarta
translation (used by other projects at Apache)

- Connector and Transaction Manager - same we could grab those and create a
specific project tomee-connector and tomee-transaction (used by other
projects at Apache)

- BatchEE - to become tomee-jbatch

- xbean - low level libraries but it's a critical part in many aspects of
TomEE. It can also become tomee-xbean (used by other projects at Apache)

- MP implementation - they will most likely be moved to dormant so the code
remains accessible and it can be revived at any time

Note that for simplicity, we could create a tomee-foo with submodules so we
could have all projects under the same github project. They do not have the
same lifecycle so I went one-to-one at first glance.

Maybe some of them (or all) could also be TomEE submodules in the current
tree. I'm just concerned that for modules that don't leave too much, we
will have the build to become more complex and also take more time which is
already an issue. I'd be tempted to look at TomEE and extract parts that
don't leave too much or with a different lifecycle into their own project.

Thoughts?
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: Geronimo future if any

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.
Additional note:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/m7y4fbygwdz1kyloh7z86r5042mtz9k4

Might be interesting to get Mark's opinion on this thread regarding
EE10 / CDI 4.0 :-)

Gruß
Richard

Re: Geronimo future if any

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Geronimo future if any

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
The whole point of Geronimo is nowadays to provide common reusable EE parts for other ASF projects.
This is important for many projects which do not depend on TomEE. E.g. all the parts TomEE is actually using.

I do agree that those parts are moving a bit slower. But there is a very low boundary of becoming a committer in Geronimo and there are plenty of people around still.
A few pieces - like MP are indeed not actively maintained anymore. But others are, BatchEE being one of em, mail, txmgr, etc as well.

Splitting workforce is probably not the best solution but in the end it's a tomee community decision about how to move forward.

The trend I do see is that EE is becoming bigger and bigger again. Adding functionality to the specs which are almost vendor specific and others which are very short lived is not helping. My personal preference would be to have libraries with a very small core which only implement the very core parts of a spec and having all the other features pluggable on top. This is not something which can be done easily in TomEE as here its about full spec compatibility. It's always a trade off.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Geronimo future if any

Posted by Swell <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone, and thank you Jean-Louis for opening this topic again,

i would be more than happy to make the API switch and yank the specs jars
in favor of Jakarta EE official jars (cf. my mail from 9/nov/22
https://lists.apache.org/thread/cpt4cfhkv068cnrx3g2tl0cpgkb6rzj6)

i would also be happy to upgrade Tomee 8.x to MicroProfile 4.1 (EE 8) and
switch Geronimo impl with SmallRye. I would like to try on my machine to
clone TomEE 9.x branch and downgrade my clone from MP 5 to MP 4.1 and see
if the TCK passes. is this a good approach? what do you think?

on the part about adding projects/shadings, i am not a fan of growing up
the source code nor shade everything. maybe i don't understand the need for
shading, Would it be ok to use the com.sun implementations for Activation
and Mail? (left them out of TomEE scope and ease maintenance).

--
Swell