Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/08 20:54:39 UTC

[VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Hello Incubator PMC,

Based on comments from the PMC regarding MADlib release candidate
v1.9alpha-rc1
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201603.mbox/%3CCA%2BULb%2Bts1B5r2BGVMj5N0tX0ugKjDqKJ3xjkTAqoGwVm%3D9knnA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
the following JIRAs have been defined and fixed:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-971
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-972

The legal-discuss on how to proceed re: missing BSD licensing headers has
been satisfactorily addressed as per:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201603.mbox/%3C9D1AF43C-370B-4E58-B0EF-2E29D242F50B%40jaguNET.com%3E

Reminder of the Apache MADlib (incubating) community vote:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-madlib-dev/201602.mbox/%3CCAKBQfzSkXyGVQSKrY99zc9UmTE_NfXcYrxDGB%3DCMBmuCKLxbAg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

For more information including release notes, please see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.9+alpha

This is a source code tarball only release.

To run check RAT, please do:

$mvn verify

first to get the correct RAT output.  Look inside of pom.xml to see the
classes of exceptions we're managing there for RAT.

We're voting on the source (tag):
rc/v1.9alpha-rc2

Source Files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.9alpha-incubating-rc2/

Commit to be voted on:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-madlib.git;a=commit;h=c9cb10cda6c42839d367ca635c8621d8a0b374a1

KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS
Please vote:

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

*** The vote will be open until Thurs Mar 10 at 6 pm Pacific time. ***

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Posted by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io>.
Thank you to the incubating PMC for reviewing the MADlib artifacts in such
detail.  The MADlib community will be very pleased with the 1st ASF release
for this project.

Regards,
Frank

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Posted by Rahul Iyer <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 on the assumption that future release will fix up the header situation

I checked:
- signatures good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE is missing some BSD licensed software
- NOTICE contains too many copyright lines, copyright lines should not be in NOTICE unless they are from relocated headers [5]
- Unknown if all files have correct headers or not (700+ files without Apache headers) with only 16 files have Apache headers
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source

LICENSE is missing info on:
- BSD licensed software copyright 2011-2012, Florian Schoppmann [2]
- BSD license software copyright 2004, 2015 Sandia Corporation. [3]
- BSD licensed software copyright 2011 Clement Creusot [4]

Given the large number of missing headers it’s extremely difficult to review this release, it is impossible to know if an individual file without a header is BSD or Apache licensed. Going forward to know if a file is missing an Apache header you would need to compare it with the previous release which is hardly ideal. Hopefully the legal discussion will come to some conclusion / consensus and the header situation can be resolved in future releases.

A couple of minor things:
- consider signing with an apache email address
- may want to double check copyright line in this file [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./src/ports/postgres/modules/pmml/table_to_pmml.sql_in
2. ./src/ports/postgres/cmake/FindPostgreSQL.cmake
3. ./cmake/UseLATEX.cmake
4. ./cmake/FindArmadillo.cmake
5. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 [binding]

Re: [VOTE] MADlib v1.9alpha-rc2

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hello Incubator PMC,
>
> Based on comments from the PMC regarding MADlib release candidate
> v1.9alpha-rc1
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201603.mbox/%3CCA%2BULb%2Bts1B5r2BGVMj5N0tX0ugKjDqKJ3xjkTAqoGwVm%3D9knnA%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> the following JIRAs have been defined and fixed:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-971
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MADLIB-972
>
> The legal-discuss on how to proceed re: missing BSD licensing headers has
> been satisfactorily addressed as per:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201603.mbox/%3C9D1AF43C-370B-4E58-B0EF-2E29D242F50B%40jaguNET.com%3E
>
> Reminder of the Apache MADlib (incubating) community vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-madlib-dev/201602.mbox/%3CCAKBQfzSkXyGVQSKrY99zc9UmTE_NfXcYrxDGB%3DCMBmuCKLxbAg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> For more information including release notes, please see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/MADlib+1.9+alpha
>
> This is a source code tarball only release.
>
> To run check RAT, please do:
>
> $mvn verify
>
> first to get the correct RAT output.  Look inside of pom.xml to see the
> classes of exceptions we're managing there for RAT.
>
> We're voting on the source (tag):
> rc/v1.9alpha-rc2
>
> Source Files:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/1.9alpha-incubating-rc2/
>
> Commit to be voted on:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-madlib.git;a=commit;h=c9cb10cda6c42839d367ca635c8621d8a0b374a1
>
> KEYS file containing PGP Keys we use to sign the release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/madlib/KEYS
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] +1  approve
> [ ] +0  no opinion