Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/13 18:54:29 UTC

welcome!

Dear Supun,

Welcome to the Velocity community!  You've probably already heard that your
application for Google Summer of Code 2007 has been accepted.

As your official mentor I'm sending you a public welcome note and ideas for
getting started.  (I'll send you a smaller private note with personal
contact info as well).  I send this publically as I hope you will build a
relationship not just with me but with the entire developer community.

A little bit about me.   I work in San Francisco, California for a small
startup of which I am co-owner, Forio Business Simulations. (www.forio.com).
We sell a product and hosted service which enables third parties to create a
specific type of web application (business simulations) for their clients.
Velocity is a key part of our platform with hundreds of users uploading
their own dynamic web pages marked up with a Velocity-based language.

My involvement with the project started in 2002 when I got frustrated with
some missing pieces of the language.  First I complained.  Then I wrote a
few patches.  Most notably, I helped add decimal number support to the
library, added new event handlers, and wrote a security-oriented
introspector.  While I waited for the patches to be reviewed and committed,
I became active on the user lists answering questions.  Eventually I was
given committer privileges and became interested in the project beyond my
immediate needs.  Several other new committers were added around the same
time, and we applied to become an Apache Top Level Project (TLP).  As a
consequence of all the above, this part March the project issued the first
new release of Velocity in 3 years.

Back to topic...

This is my first time mentoring, so appreciate any advice from you as to how
I can be supportive as we go along.  My two big suggestions are (1) stay in
touch and (2) stay public.  In other words, don't hide away and code, but
instead send regular updates and ask lots of questions.  If you are going to
go away (holiday, family, etc) for a while, let us know.  Also, please
involve the entire community by using public channels whenever possible.
Correspond on dev@velocity.apache.org.  Submit patches and comments on
issues via JIRA.  And feel free to be involved with other aspects of the
project (e.g. answering user questions on user@velocity.apache.org if you
feel inclined).

I also want to note that your proposed project consists of a number of
mostly independent pieces.  I encourage you to do them one at a time and
keep them all separate when discussing and when submitting patches.  This
simplifies discussion and makes it easier to review code.  Also, we're very
religious about code style and about unit tests.  Every new feature or bug
fix will need a unit test in order to be committed.

Here's a couple of specific suggestions I have for you to get started.  I
note that the official coding period doesn't start until May 28.

(1) Subscribe to the dev and user mailing lists.
http://velocity.apache.org/contact.html

(2) Introduce yourself on the dev list.  Where do you go to school?  How'd
you start using Velocity?  What do you plan to do first?

(3) Checkout the latest Velocity engine code base with svn if you haven't
already
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html

(4) Read these guidelines for community and coding standards.
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/GettingYourPatchCommitted
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/CodeStandards
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/DocumentationGuidelines

(5) Pick one aspect of your project, and jump in!

Welcome again Supun -- look forward to working with you over the following
few months.

Best regards.

WILL

Re: welcome!

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Well - I'd definitely start by writing a small app.  Actually, an easy way
to get started is to use the VelocityViewServlet, provided with the Velocity
Tools subproject.  Then you can just copy *.vm files into your web
directory.

Have you reviewed the various articles on the Wiki?

A key technology that Velocity uses is JavaCC.  You probably want to install
this and try to understand how the various Node files work.

Let us know what you are looking at and what questions you come up with.

WILL

On 4/15/07, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> started.  I
> > > note that the official coding period doesn't start until May 28.
> > >
> > > (1) Subscribe to the dev and user mailing lists.
> > > http://velocity.apache.org/contact.html
> > >
> > > (2) Introduce yourself on the dev list.  Where do you go to
> school?  How'd
> > > you start using Velocity?  What do you plan to do first?
> > >
> > > (3) Checkout the latest Velocity engine code base with svn if you
> haven't
> > > already
> > > http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
> > >
> > > (4) Read these guidelines for community and coding standards.
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/GettingYourPatchCommitted
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/CodeStandards
> > > http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/DocumentationGuidelines
> > >
> > > (5) Pick one aspect of your project, and jump in!
> > >
> > > Welcome again Supun -- look forward to working with you over the

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: welcome!