Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2003/07/16 19:24:52 UTC

[CONCLUSION] Apache Newsletter

All,

Seems that the vote (to be precise, proposal) has been
passed without a dissenting voice.
"The ayes have it !"

So, I will prepare for the Apache Newsletter from now on.
(ApacheWiki, etc.)
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheNewsletterDrafts
and
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheNewsletterDrafts/Issue1

Apache Newsletter will be appeared at http://www.apache.org/newsletter/

If you have question on this, please do not hesitate to ask me
(tetsuya@apache.org)

Cross-Posted to Jakarta-General, WS-General and XML-General.
To WS and XML folks: please see the jakarta-newsletter example seen at
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/200305.html
We will prepare the Apache Software Foundation Wide Newsletter.

I will announce to you at all the developer list when I need help for
the articles. Please please help me when the time has come.

-- My Original Intention --

There are so many projects in the ASF, and it might be very hard for all
the users/developers to catch up whole things what is happening to the
Apache activities. The aim of the newsletter is to try and let people know
what's been going on in the projects in the ASF when they have been
unable to monitor all of them themselves.  The editorship of the various
sections and overall will probably vary which should hopefully lead to a
fairly dynamic newsletter.

There are many people who are *passive* as well as *active*. People
in the tendency of passive will not actively see the website maybe,
however, e-mail might be able to stir up the *awareness*/*imagination*
for something.
I hope/believe that these kind of *awareness* will come to fruition
of the *cross-pollination* and *breakthrough* in technology as well
as in community's growth (ASF-wide community's growth).
Of course, I want to prepare the web version for the newsletter:
there are many people who love e-mails as well as web pages.

I am glad that this "Apache Newsletter" will be published as a result
of the outgrowth of "Jakarta Newsletter" and the newsletter can cover
all the projects including infrastructure, incubator et ce tra.
Thanks to the all the contributors to the previous jakarta newsletter
and the precursors, Rob Oxsprings and Robert Burrel Donkin's great work.

We lowered the barrier to entry - users and developers will be able to
easily contribute, as prepared the ApacheWiki.
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi

If you have anything to be added to the ApacheWiki, please go to
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheNewsletterDrafts/Issue1
and fill up what you want to append.

Anticipating nice blurb and news for the projects which you are
interested in!!

------------------------------------

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S.
There is still a room for the discussion about the 'frequency' and
'place to post', however, I want to do the "experimentation" for a while.
(not so long)
I think "experimentation" might conform to the "A Patchy" spirits ;-)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:33:14 -0500
(Subject: Apache Newsletter [Re: Jakarta Newsletter Issue 9 -- May-June 2003])
Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> on 7/11/03 6:07 AM Thom May wrote:
>
> > Why the obsession with email?
>
> push vs. pull
>
> example: we are having this conversation and the information I'm sending
> its pushed into your mailbox. I could post this information on a weblog
> and then point you to it, but, in my experience, the chance that you
> will read it is much lower.
>
> another reason is asynchronicity. if I push it in your mailboxes, you
> carry it with you. maybe on a train, as it was already noted. Sure, you
> can download stuff from the web and carry it with you but it *requires*
> effort from your part. Again, the chance that you will do it is much lower.
>
> This is what I would like to see:
>
>  1) the ASF publishes a newsletter (following the very nice style used
> in the recent Jakarta one) that covers all the ASF endevours. Including
> infrastructure, licensing, security, incubation and all the
> non-so-project stuff.
>
>  2) the newsletter is sent to announce@apache.org
>
>  3) the newsletter is then archived on www.apache.org/newsletter/[date]
>
> What do you think?