Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Gary Blomquist <gb...@net2phone.com> on 2006/01/16 20:12:17 UTC

Extending PersistentValve ?

I would like to be able to use round robin loading balancing with a
JDBCStore.  However, it appears that using the PersistentManager with
JDBC store could cause the sessions to be stale when a session migrates
between workers due to the asyncronous behavior of the
PersistentManager.  (I realize their is a SimpleTcpCluster available as
a clusterering solution but I can not use because it relies on
multicast.)

Viewing the source it appears that the PersistentValve with the
PersistentManager  and JDBCStore could be a solution.   It appears that
it would load a session from the store at the begging of each request
and save it back to the store at the end of the request.  I would like
to modify the behavior to only load/save when the session is dirty based
on the last_access timestamps.

Any comments on the solution? ( I realize their is some performance
penalty due to object serialization and writing blobs to the database;
however, in our case I think this would not be prohibitive esp. if there
is a small amount of data in the session.)

Also,  when I attempt to run Tomcat with the PersistentValve I get the
following exception:

SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
request processing
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.PersistentValve.invoke(PersistentValve.java:9
9)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:1
48)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:744)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:
674)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.
java:866)
        at
.java:684)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Note:  (I have not yet made mods to the PersistentValue)

Thanks for your assistance,

Gary Blomquist

Re: Extending PersistentValve ?

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.

Am 16.01.2006 um 20:12 schrieb Gary Blomquist:

> I would like to be able to use round robin loading balancing with a
> JDBCStore.  However, it appears that using the PersistentManager with
> JDBC store could cause the sessions to be stale when a session
> migrates
> between workers due to the asyncronous behavior of the
> PersistentManager.  (I realize their is a SimpleTcpCluster
> available as
> a clusterering solution but I can not use because it relies on
> multicast.)

Wrote you own Membership tcp based service and use the real cluster
implementation :-)

At my feeling the old PersistentManager is only a deprecated prototyp
and not a real cluster solution.