Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/02/17 07:25:22 UTC

Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Hi,

Google sponsors students projects for open source project development. Any
company who works on open source code base can participate as Mentor and
can provide project ideas which will be worked on by students. As Apache
Apex project we should submit some ideas under this program.
Please share your ideas on this mail thread, so that we can register with
google as a mentors.

*Note: Please share your ideas by 18th February, as 19th is the last day
for registration.*

-Priyanka

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Yogi Devendra <de...@gmail.com>.
Here are few ideas :

   1. Integration with Apache Calcite
   2. Encrypted streams
   3. Running Storm topologies on Apex
   4. Beam/DataFlow runner for Apex

~ Yogi

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Atri,

I have added you, please accept the invite.

-Priyanka

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Hi Atri,
>
> I am not an expert here. But as I understand we need to register as an
> organization. My idea here was any organization here who has an project
> proposal related to Apex could register themselves and submit the project.
>
> -Priyanka
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Super.
> >
> > Shall I register as a community with my apache id?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Atri,
> > > It will be great if you can help given your past experience. We should
> > sign
> > > up as a community. It is a good cause.
> > >
> > > Thks,
> > > Amol

> it.

> > development.
> Mentor
> > > and
> > > Apache
> register
> > > with

> last
> > > day

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> > *l'apprenant*

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Atri,

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Super.

Shall I register as a community with my apache id?

Regards,

Atri

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> Atri,
> It will be great if you can help given your past experience. We should sign
> up as a community. It is a good cause.
>
> Thks,
> Amol
>

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did we sign up for being a community?
> >
> > FWIW, I will be glad to be an org admin given my past experience in it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Priyanka Gugale <
> > priyanka@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Google sponsors students projects for open source project development.
> > Any
> > > company who works on open source code base can participate as Mentor
> and
> > > can provide project ideas which will be worked on by students. As
> Apache
> > > Apex project we should submit some ideas under this program.
> > > Please share your ideas on this mail thread, so that we can register
> with
> > > google as a mentors.
> > >
> > > *Note: Please share your ideas by 18th February, as 19th is the last
> day
> > > for registration.*
> > >
> > > -Priyanka
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> > *l'apprenant*

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.
Atri,

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Google sponsors students projects for open source project development. Any
> company who works on open source code base can participate as Mentor and
> can provide project ideas which will be worked on by students. As Apache
> Apex project we should submit some ideas under this program.
> Please share your ideas on this mail thread, so that we can register with
> google as a mentors.
>
> *Note: Please share your ideas by 18th February, as 19th is the last day
> for registration.*
>
> -Priyanka

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
PostgreSQL

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Atri, can you tell me your previous organization/community name with which
> you participated in GCoS?
>
> -Priyanka
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Harsh,
> >
> > Please elaborate on the points. Specifically, deliverables, timeline,
> your
> > coding experience and a high level design.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM, HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Abstract
> > >
> > > The *Internet of Things* is the network of physical objects—devices,
> > > vehicles,
> > >  buildings and other items which are embedded with electronics,
> software,
> > > sensors,
> > >  and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and
> > > exchange data.
> > > *Apex* is a YARN-native platform that unifies stream and batch
> > processing.
> > > It
> > > processes big data in-motion in a way that is highly scalable, highly
> > > performant, fault tolerant, stateful, secure, distributed, and easily
> > > operable.
> > > *Idea *is to build an Integrated Apex-Iot App that can truly define the
> > the
> > > need of IOT and Real time Apex processing.This will lead to most
> accurate
> > > results in a secured way. So, no data would be stored in IOT devices
> > rather
> > > it  will  just redirect it to Apex Distributed System.Eg.Smart Dustbin
> > for
> > > a State or Country, Traffic co-ordination in city and its futher
> analysis
> > > for predictions,Weather Stations,Factories and Power Plants for saftey
> > etc.
> > > *Future Scope* it can be further integrated with some RTOS like
> Google's
> > > Brillo (especially designed for IOT Apps).
> > >
> > > -Harsh Pathak
> > > Thank You.
> > >

> > > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Priyanka Gugale <
> [...]

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
I am adding one more project to the list. *Integration of deeplearning4j
with Apex.*

*What is deeplearning4j?*
Deeplearning4j is an open source deep learning library written for Java and
and a computing framework with wide support for deep learning algorithms.
Deeplearning4j includes implementations of the restricted Boltzmann
machine, deep belief net, deep autoencoder, stacked denoising autoencoder
and recursive neural tensor network, as well as word2vec, doc2vec and
GloVe. These algorithms all include distributed parallel versions that
integrate with Hadoop. *Deep learning excels at identifying patterns in
unstructured data*, which most people know as media such as images, sound,
video and text.

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by "Pradeep A. Dalvi" <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
HI,

Bit late here sorry, but I don’t think you need to register as the ASF is in the process of doing so.

You may want to read this:
http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html <http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html>
http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html <http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html>

And ideas already submitted:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-178?filter=12334770#

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.
Ok ,Thank You.

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Hi Hash,

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Thats fine.

wrote:

> I have worked few IOT Projects before like Smart Dustbin and Smart Door
> lock.
> These Projects Included Hardware and Software Interface , which involved
> technologies like IBM BlueMix,Arduino,ESP,BeagleBoard.
> On other hand i have developed a Android app and a website on jsp.
> Most of all the Projects were done as a Team projects and I was one of them
> But , I am totally new to Apache Apex and Apache Hadoop.
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Priyanka Gugale <priyanka@datatorrent.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Atri, can you tell me your previous organization/community name with
> which
> > you participated in GCoS?
> >
> > -Priyanka
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Harsh,
> > >
> > > Please elaborate on the points. Specifically, deliverables, timeline,
> > your
> > > coding experience and a high level design.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Atri

> > software,
> > > processing.
> the
> > > the
> > accurate
> > > rather
> Dustbin
> > > for
> > analysis
> saftey
> > > etc.
> > Google's

> > > priyanka@datatorrent.com

> > harshnpathak@gmail.com>

> Apache

> > is

> > Hadoop*
> > > highly
> > > easily
> > > which
> > Business
> > > engine
> > > events
> > in

> is
> > > for

> project
> > > technical
> timeline
> > > is 3

> > flow
> > > of
> > > picture
> > could
> > > be
> > read
> > > dustbins
> this

> project
> > participate
> > > as
> > > program.
> > can

> 19th
> > is

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Atri
> > > *l'apprenant*

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Harsh,

wrote:

> Abstract
>
> The *Internet of Things* is the network of physical objects—devices,
> vehicles,
>  buildings and other items which are embedded with electronics, software,
> sensors,
>  and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and
> exchange data.
> *Apex* is a YARN-native platform that unifies stream and batch processing.
> It
> processes big data in-motion in a way that is highly scalable, highly
> performant, fault tolerant, stateful, secure, distributed, and easily
> operable.
> *Idea *is to build an Integrated Apex-Iot App that can truly define the the
> need of IOT and Real time Apex processing.This will lead to most accurate
> results in a secured way. So, no data would be stored in IOT devices rather
> it  will  just redirect it to Apex Distributed System.Eg.Smart Dustbin for
> a State or Country, Traffic co-ordination in city and its futher analysis
> for predictions,Weather Stations,Factories and Power Plants for saftey etc.
> *Future Scope* it can be further integrated with some RTOS like Google's
> Brillo (especially designed for IOT Apps).
>
> -Harsh Pathak
> Thank You.
>

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Priyanka Gugale <priyanka@datatorrent.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > You can put it on this mail thread.
> >
> > -Priyanka
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM, HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Yes I am a (Third year B.E.)Student, I recently attended the Apache
> Apex
> > > workshop at PICT,Pune.
> > >
> > > So do I need to mail you the abstract.
> > >
> > > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Priyanka Gugale <
> > priyanka@datatorrent.com

> one

> > processing.
> > > It
> against
> > > set
> > > helps
> > Rules
> > > with
> this
> > recommend a

> harshnpathak@gmail.com>

> idea
> > > for
> > > depth

> > > harshnpathak@gmail.com>

> > > data
> if
> > the
> and
> > > send
> > are
> could
> > > be

> students.
> > As

> the

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.
Abstract

Posted by Yogi Devendra <de...@gmail.com>.
@Harsh

Timeline of 3 months is for design, code complete, contributing to open
source put together. More about timeline :
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

And timeline is for Project completion or Project idea completion?
> -Harsh

~ Yogi

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, good idea.

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Priyanka,

BTW, there is a section which says if a previous participating organization
member can vouch for you. You can put my name down for it.

Regards,

Atri

wrote:

> You can put it on this mail thread.
>
> -Priyanka
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM, HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes I am a (Third year B.E.)Student, I recently attended the Apache Apex
> > workshop at PICT,Pune.
> >
> > So do I need to mail you the abstract.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Priyanka Gugale <
> priyanka@datatorrent.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We have to submit ideas by tomorrow, tomorrow is last day. Here is one
> > > example which I have written,
> > >
> > > *Apache Apex: Using rules engine for real time analytics on Hadoop*
> > > *Abstract*
> > > Apex is a YARN-native platform that unifies stream and batch
> processing.
> > It
> > > processes big data in-motion in a way that is highly scalable, highly
> > > performant, fault tolerant, stateful, secure, distributed, and easily
> > > operable. Most of real time analytics requires data evaluation against
> > set
> > > of rules. There are plenty of rules engine frameworks in market which
> > helps
> > > to implement rules evaluation logic. Drools is one of the Business
> Rules
> > > Management System (BRMS) solution. Idea is to integrate drools engine
> > with
> > > Apache Apex to do real time rules evaluation against incoming events to
> > > achieve real time analysis.
> > > If you are a student, I would also encourage you to participate in this
> > > program as a student and work on one of the projects, I would
> recommend a
> > > Apex project of course :)
> > >
> > > -Priyanka

> > > Project

> > > priyanka@datatorrent.com

> > for
> > depth
> > > months.

> > harshnpathak@gmail.com>

> > data
> the
> > send
> are
> > > all
> > be

> > > Mentor
> As
> > > register

> > > last

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Mentoring Apache Apex projects in Google Summer of Code

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Priyanka Gugale <pr...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by HARSH PATHAK <ha...@gmail.com>.