Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rodney Nicholson <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/11/24 02:16:40 UTC

Mysterious Behaviour

Hi guys (and girls):  I love OpenOffice, am using it a lot, but do not know a great deal about it, and have an issue:  It looks like I somehow effectively 'lost' a 27 line paragraph of written material in a way that is a complete mystery to me:  I wanted to attach a copy/paste of the error to this email, but when I pasted the error text into this email, the 27 lines came out completely normal (as in the original).  And when I copy/paste the errant text to a new OpenOffice window, it comes out fine - the original correct text - there as well.    But the mystery is not solved because when I 'cut' the 27 line paragraph, as well as the previous and following paragraphs, from the original text, and then copy/paste the 'good' text from the new window back into the original text, it still comes out weird, that is: the same.  So I don't know how to restore this paragraph in the original text.
  In short, here is the story:  The error-free paragraph has 27 lines and about 60 characters per line amounting to about 1600 characters.  But what I see on the screen is a total of just 83 characters on 44 lines.  Many of the 44 lines are blank, and on no line do the characters extend further than 12 characters from the left margin!  So about 1520 characters from the 27 lines are missing and what is shown is unintelligible.  Since, as mentioned above, I cannot cut/paste the error into this email, instead I will copy the error, character by character, below.  The very first line of the error text is a squiggly red line that extends all the way across the page which was not in the original.  Below that squiggly red line, the text between the two '= = = = = ' is what I see:
  = = = = = = = = =
someone
hi

the  same. If
how toimprove
themselv

 - if theywan

 to - viaedu

tion,

 for example.

seem to  = = = = = = = = = =   The problem I still have is that even though I do have a good version of the problem text in a different file, I remain unable to reinsert it back into the document.  When I cut/paste what looks like good text from the other file, it still comes out as the 83 characters shown above.  Presumably I am not the very first user to have come across this problem.  So I am hoping the explanation of how to avoid it in the future, and the solution for restoring the paragraph back to its proper place will be trivial?  I have several hundred pages of similar material which remains unaffected.  At least, so far.
  Thank you for your help with this.
  Rodney.Alberta, CANADA.

Re: Mysterious Behaviour

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 22:05:03 +1100
Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM> wrote:

> On 24/11/17 1:16 PM, Rodney Nicholson wrote:
> > Hi guys (and girls):  I love OpenOffice, am using it a lot, but do not know a great deal about it, and have an issue:  It looks like I somehow effectively 'lost' a 27 line paragraph of written material in a way that is a complete mystery to me:
>
> And it's a mystery to me as well
>
> >    I wanted to attach a copy/paste of the error to this email, but when I pasted the error text into this email, the 27 lines came out completely normal (as in the original).  And when I copy/paste the errant text to a new OpenOffice window, it comes out fine - the original correct text - there as well.    But the mystery is not solved because when I 'cut' the 27 line paragraph, as well as the previous and following paragraphs, from the original text, and then copy/paste the 'good' text from the new window back into the original text, it still comes out weird, that is: the same.
>
> You could try two things:
> 1. Select the 27 lines paragraph and press Cntr+M which restores the
> default formatting.
>     If that doesn't solve your problem
> 2. Copy the whole document into a new document.

Or you could try /Edit /Paste Special in OpenOffice and select "Unformatted  text" from the popup menu.  is means you will have to reformat your text, but Paste Special should also strip any unseen formatting from your insertion.

RoryOF

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Mysterious Behaviour

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.