Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/14 23:03:03 UTC

Heads up on new checkstyle rules in the build

As a part of the recent formatting that Christopher did (thanks again,
for that), he also added the maven-checksyle-plugin to be sure we don't
just commit a bunch of stuff that's re-broken.

Be aware that the checkstyle plugin is bound to the verify lifecycle
phase which means that a `mvn package` won't catch it (just like
findbugs and rat have been operating). It will be a good thing to get in
the habit of running something like `mvn verify -DskipITs` to make sure
we don't break any of these rules.... (like I just did :D)

- Josh

Re: Heads up on new checkstyle rules in the build

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I really wanted to set the checkstyle plugin to run at "validate", but due
to some features it supports, which require inspecting subclasses, it needs
to run post-compile. We may still be able to configure it to run at the
"package" phase, though. I have not looked into that. I've just been using
the default for the plugin, which is "verify".

The basic command I run is:

mvn verify

But, I also frequently run with any or all of the following:

-DskipTests
-DskipITs
-Dfindbugs.skip
-Dcheckstyle.skip

I'm pretty sure Jenkins is configured to run verify, so even if users
don't, Jenkins should catch stuff.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii