Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by AlexS <al...@igmarkets.com> on 2013/03/01 12:41:43 UTC

Minimum Solr cluster configuration?

Hello, I'm new to Solr, and I need to create the smallest possible Solr
cluster, supporting replication and fault tolerance, with no single point of
failure.
I've followed the instructions at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud, and
that's fine, but since my dataset it's not that large, I don't really need
sharding the index.
So what I would need, it's having a whole index in one host, a whole replica
in a different host, and I'll use a load balancer to hit any of the boxes
for searching and indexing.
I've tried this configuration, with one ZK starting in host1. Seems to work
fine if I stop host2, but if I stop host1 (the one containing ZK), host2
start throwing java.net.ConnectException, and even though searching is still
possible, indexing fails with error 503.
I've also tried to start a ZK in both hosts, but this fails to start, it
looks like ZK instances need to be in an odd number, because of the voting
mechanism?

So what are my options here? Am I doing something wrong with Solr/ZK?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Minimum Solr cluster configuration?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
You will want to start zookeeper independently of Solr. If you want
fault tolerance with regard to Zookeeper, you should have three of them.
Hosting at Amazon, for example, I'd have one Zookeeper in each of three
availability zones, meaning that any one AZ can go down, leaving me with
two functioning zookeeper nodes, which is sufficient for my Solr servers
to continue operating. (Zookeeper requires half+1 of your servers to be
up to function properly, thus an odd number of servers).

Upayavira