Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex <ar...@iname.com> on 2011/04/08 16:20:48 UTC

Apache V2 license interpretation

The company I am currently working for has prohibitively strict rules of certifying third party software libraries used in their applications. Yet, they don't mind large chunks of "custom" code in their packages.

The question they asked in the past was whether license at the top of source files provided under Apache v2 license can be removed(don't ask me why) if they only use software in their application. If I read the license correctly, the answer is "yes, they can"(since they don't redistribute the code or derived work further). Do I read this correctly?

Regards,
Alex