Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by tschuler <th...@opentext.com> on 2017/02/03 11:50:07 UTC

TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections

Hi!

Our application is using scheduled beans.
The according timers are persisted within quartz tables.

This works as expected using TomEE 7.0.1 (webprofile).

But within TomEE 7.0.2 (also webprofile) we get in trouble because tx
database connections to quartz tables are not released any more.
It does not depend on database: We tried using MSSQL, Oracle & Postgres
database.
It also does not depend on type of timer: We tried calendar, interval and
single action timer.
The amount of database connections seems to be increased in case of adding a
timer only: Timer cancel or timer fire has no impact.
Always three additional connections can be observered while one timer is
added.

Does anyone have an idea what might be cause for the issue?

We are actually not able to provide a simple example but we are working on
it.

Best regards,
Thomas

Re: TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> Thanks Romain for clarification.
> Did the quartz handling switched to outside the transaction with
> introduction of the "shaded" quartz access?

No, never has been in the tx I think - if we run it in the tx then quartz
meta can be rolled back with the business code which is wrong.

Re: TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections

Posted by tschuler <th...@opentext.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Yes, summarized it could be said this way I think: "quartz doc is valid but
tomee usage of quartz is 'internal' and outside the EJB".

If you use yourself quartz from the EJB then you could use the CMT config
but not the case using @Schedule IIRC.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by tschuler <th...@opentext.com>.
Hi Romain!

http://www.quartz-scheduler.org/documentation/quartz-2.2.x/configuration/ConfigJobStoreTX.html)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Did you try passing a JtaManaged=false database to quartz? Quartz should be
the one responsible to close this connection.

I wonder if the changes related to isClosed() and close() are related to
that but shouldnt.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> Hi Romain!
>
> Sure.
> We try to reproduce issue without our complete application.
> As soon as we identified the root cause we can write an according
> datasource
> test.
> Is there a planned release date for upcoming TomEE 7.0.3?

nothing planned, but nothing blocking too :)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Any hope you work on a test to reproduce it? We have a few quartz and
datasource tests on master and i can help you to write it if needed but the
related commit fixed some leaks so would be great to identify finely your
case.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Would also be interesting to update
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/6d7565af8f6c216644d32dd724bb5a6cd44dc6c5/tomee/tomee-jdbc/src/test/java/org/apache/tomee/jdbc/TomcatXADataSourceTest.java
to reproduce this behavior if you manage to identify the cause.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tschuler <th...@opentext.com>.
Hi Romain!

Lines cannot match master version of ManagedConnection.java because we changed it a bit (see attached ManagedConnection.java) on base of TomEE 7.0.2 release.
On the other hand we actually have no idea where to find TomEE snapshot - https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/ does not seem to be snapshot folder any more.

Best regards,
                Thomas

<https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blog-2Drmannibucau.rhcloud.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=f0bEeHbgfwmZ9VwkbJKuztxWIesi3_Q6aX_t2L4WgmQ&e=>> | Old Blog
<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rmannibucau.wordpress.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=mphWJQ99rGdcA7SXIyAwA7cpHr3DvK1QNkl63fFSfg0&e=>> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_rmannibucau&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=p4lVtShsbWWgilgR1n1umjOMJk0YarG4TvV1GYCMSc0&e=>> |
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_rmannibucau&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=KJncjGo9tFJEKAPzYIwIMWFSN1VsXe_xahY_DzcZlBc&e=>> | JavaEE Factory
<https://javaeefactory-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__javaeefactory-2Drmannibucau.rhcloud.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=nmP7DqgVP__ao1cpigRcoNgw2MZaFaxDcrm1u4OK2FM&e=>>

http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-7-0-2-increasing-quartz-tx-database-connections-tp4681007p4681062.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_TomEE-2D7-2D0-2D2-2Dincreasing-2Dquartz-2Dtx-2Ddatabase-2Dconnections-2Dtp4681007p4681062.html&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=nJ6wv98JhKkAZXufOKnWqpduvLmvJgqKQzBRIJmx52Q&e=>
To unsubscribe from TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections, click here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_template_NamlServlet.jtp-3Fmacro-3Dunsubscribe-5Fby-5Fcode-26node-3D4681007-26code-3DdGhvbWFzLnNjaHVsZXJAb3BlbnRleHQuY29tfDQ2ODEwMDd8LTE4NTIyNTQ0OTI-3D&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=EoMT1Qng2FlncOFhrviAa_1Z6suhoKXrc949Lq5Z4z8&e=>.
NAML<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_template_NamlServlet.jtp-3Fmacro-3Dmacro-5Fviewer-26id-3Dinstant-5Fhtml-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-26base-3Dnabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-2Dnabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-2Dnabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace-26breadcrumbs-3Dnotify-5Fsubscribers-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-2Dinstant-5Femails-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-2Dsend-5Finstant-5Femail-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=t0LrDDhqtCTu9Wby2YU3LgQbr2QUrGN8RO1mdlo4CNs&s=FC0WgnZajzsyFUL3guvs91s3GABdK8EriafHpvWBpIc&e=>

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_rmannibucau&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=MgNLC1GEfYqS9Nkkh-9fK6QUonLKiFRcJpgAVpK-gKA&e=>> |  Blog
<https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__blog-2Drmannibucau.rhcloud.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=czTl_KlUFJYLumqyKOTPlqjOiW0Xm5xSwCxw2RuUgvY&e=>> | Old Blog
<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rmannibucau.wordpress.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=_9UwlWBsLmBCnBD2u1gM-INAOCHv0ArrgKtOiyR0O3g&e=>> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_rmannibucau&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=oqkryix_txHO7YCLiaABH4cEPqkAV6YMmPReJoV5JZQ&e=>> |
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.linkedin.com_in_rmannibucau&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=uiTJP4mPtAVQ4Fcihqb7ggraf7n8DheowMIKhUB7tXI&e=>> | JavaEE Factory
<https://javaeefactory-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__javaeefactory-2Drmannibucau.rhcloud.com&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=2MgU1N170sWgWkYfKyl-y7U4UMLxBgQLLNYy9JpKVRU&e=>>

http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-7-0-2-increasing-quartz-tx-database-connections-tp4681007p4681053.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_TomEE-2D7-2D0-2D2-2Dincreasing-2Dquartz-2Dtx-2Ddatabase-2Dconnections-2Dtp4681007p4681053.html&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=9T16nD_KwsWbAHBgR5NgiDM1Yi4iZMF1pGFK7AG6TdA&e=>
To unsubscribe from TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections, click here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_template_NamlServlet.jtp-3Fmacro-3Dunsubscribe-5Fby-5Fcode-26node-3D4681007-26code-3DdGhvbWFzLnNjaHVsZXJAb3BlbnRleHQuY29tfDQ2ODEwMDd8LTE4NTIyNTQ0OTI-3D&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=0QsMQ2bRmXiAKc4k6q5mMgNrjCXzuC7tZN56yhgmxN8&e=>.
NAML<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tomee-2Dopenejb.979440.n4.nabble.com_template_NamlServlet.jtp-3Fmacro-3Dmacro-5Fviewer-26id-3Dinstant-5Fhtml-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-26base-3Dnabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-2Dnabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-2Dnabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace-26breadcrumbs-3Dnotify-5Fsubscribers-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-2Dinstant-5Femails-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml-2Dsend-5Finstant-5Femail-2521nabble-253Aemail.naml&d=DwMCAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=tcnVZpsm--xbG4A9tLhh_CVv_TOmzYWmS-P4lauv47I&m=j5PcFhN5wNkiZXRRBmt6aj2_aWlwIXOID5aHgTDLY2c&s=BEpNzfKI-x6d45mFXlfG-aid1yvQnQssiOVvnX1Mv2E&e=>

startAgent_IncludingStackTraces.txt (142K) <http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4681061/0/startAgent_IncludingStackTraces.txt>

Re: TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tschuler <th...@opentext.com>.
Hi Romain!

We actually cannot reproduce the issue within a small example.

But what we did was "enhancing" ManagedConnection.java with log messages in case of connection is created or closed.
Attached text file (startAgent2.log) includes the additional log messages showing that three connections are opened (Thread "http-nio-28080-exec-5" - ConnectionID 30, 29 & 28) but not closed any more.

startAgent2.txt (14K) <http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4681052/0/startAgent2.txt>

Re: TomEE 7.0.2 - increasing quartz tx database connections

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
if you manage to share a test (arquillian or application composer) then we
can help you more accurately and fix it for 7.0.3

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
tomcat-jdbc or our JTA proxy (probably)

here are the related commits:

-
https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/6d7565af8f6c216644d32dd724bb5a6cd44dc6c5
-
https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/56ec4be8bc3db9754f5d4ddc5f57206861363537
-
https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/57a235d672cd7692f0a2a50bf345e966f9d2bd16

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> Hi Romain!
>
> I'm not sure if I get you right: Changes were done but should not have in
> impact, right?

In term of tomee code yes, if you check the release note on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12312320&version=12336943,
only [TOMEE-1964 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1964>]  can
be impacting and related to xa databases.

However I have to admit I didn't check all the changes in tomcat-jdbc so if
you use this one and not dbcp then it can have some impacting changes you
don't see in tomee changelog itself.

> Can I somehow revert these changes to get sure if or if not they are cause
> for the issue?

one option, a bit time consuming but "secured" in the sense you'll find the
cause for sure is to take git version just before 7.0.1 release and then
doing a dichotomy test all revisions until it breaks.

It will likely need a small sample easy to run but will ensure you find it
in a finite period of time and avoid this effect "almost there, almost
there"[1 month later]"not sure it fixes it :s".

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
we upgraded some database pooling dependencies so can be hidden, otherwise
our changes are not that impacting on the datasource by themself

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

did you investigate

1. the database configuration
2. thread dumps to see if something is locked

?

Romain Manni-Bucau