Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/06 04:39:01 UTC

Fwd: [A2k] TPP has provision against forcing open code for software, ​Article 14.17: Source Code

FYI
[Note, the list is pubic, afaik Jamie Love is widely recognised for his tireless advocacy of consumer rights, especially in the field of intellectual property. The language of the TPP here is… breathtaking.]

Re: [A2k] TPP has provision against forcing open code for software, ​Article 14.17: Source Code

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Also, there is a limitation that says that this does not limit the terms of commercially negotiated contracts.  The gpl is just such an animal.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Louis,

I think that first article is intended to prevent governments from requiring that software sources be disclosed as a condition to allow importation.

The key language as I read it is "in its territory".

The ASF has no territory. It can't make a condition of sale or use "in its territory". China, on the other hand, does have territory.

Moreover, even if you take a tortured reading that ignores the territorial clause, this would have no impact on ASL licensed software since there is no such requirement. Such a reading might affect gpl software, but that isn't a very plausible reading.