Posted to user@struts.apache.org by R Balaji <ba...@india.adventnet.com> on 2003/07/24 07:50:09 UTC

Validator Problem when using "Required"

Hi,

I am using Struts Validator for validating my Application. i am using
"required"  for many of the fields and using minlength and maxlength for
the userName field.

my validation.xml reads like this,

/Ex :

  <field  property="lastName" depends="*required*">
      <arg0 key="validateform.lastname"/>
  </field>

  <field  property="userName"
    depends="*required,minlength,maxlength*">
      <arg0 key="validateform.userName" name="required"/>
 <arg0 key="validateform.userName" name="minlength"/>
<arg1   key="${var:minlength}" name="minlength" resource="false"/>

 <arg0 key="validateform.userName" name="maxlength"/>
<arg1   key="${var:maxlength}" name="maxlength" resource="false"/>
    <var>
<var-name>minlength</var-name>
<var-value>5</var-value>
</var>
    <var>
<var-name>maxlength</var-name>
<var-value>10</var-value>
</var>
  </field>

  <field  property="age"
    depends="*required*">
      <arg0 key="validateform.age"/>
  </field>/

If i fail to give the userName it is prompting, that userName is
required. But if i input only "2" characters for the userName, while all
other ( some of the other ) fields are empty it prompts only about all
other required fields, and not validating the *minlength* condition
until all other required conditions get satisfied. I feel it should also
validate the userName and prompt that the length is less than 5 chatacters.

is there anything to define the precedence in the validation.xml ? ..
will the minlength be validated only if all the required get satisfied. ??

please Help me.

TIA,

Balaji

Re: Validator Problem when using "Required"

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
R Balaji wrote:
> I think it would be better if we prompt all the errors at once to the
> user.  The user should not wait till entering the valid fields and then
> check for the validity of the entered values.
>
> The "Required" condition should take the precedence over all other
> condition for that *particular Field*. I too agree this , as there is
> not point in checking the length, when the user fails to enter the value
> at all. But my concern is,  why should we wait till entering all *other*
> required fields, for checking the length of a Field.
>
> Can i do Complex validations,  using the predefined rules like
> "required", "range" .. etc .. ?  Should i write my own rules by
> duplicating the predefined ones ?

That is your preference, but I feel the way it is currently done is
best. For the javascript validation on the client-side, this is
definitely better because the errors appear in a small pop-up which you
have to click away before you can correct the errors, i.e. the user has
to memorise the errors before correcting them.

On the server-side I agree it is probably preferable to show all errors
at once.

Adam

Re: Validator Problem when using "Required"

Posted by R Balaji <ba...@india.adventnet.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.