Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike McMullen <ml...@loanprocessing.net> on 2004/07/23 07:05:05 UTC

[users@httpd] OT: Refresh and different browsers

Hi All,

Sorry for the off-topic post but I am having a browser compatibility issue.
I'm hoping some of you may have some insight to the issue.

I have a simple Login option on our site's main page. It uses basic
authentication (soon to be digest) to verify the user is a valid user.

If they are, a simple index.cgi generates a refresh with url = to the
$REMOTE_USER learned from the authentication. The output looks
like this for the username "mlm":

<head>
</head>

This then sends them to their home page in their public_html
directory. With IE it doesn't require that they enter their username
and password information again and displays their home page that
is tailored to their needs.

With IE this works really well. However, with Netscape 7.1, Mozilla,
and FireFox it simply displays the text above instead of the refresh
occuring.

I got the code above several months ago from googling. I'm not an
expert on these things so I'm not certain what is exactly happening
above. I know that when I do this it works (with IE).

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work with other browsers?
And if so there is no way to use this method with other browsers,
is there another way I can easily use the "require valid-user"
method of getting their username and send them to their home
directory without having to login twice?

Once in their home directory there is suexec stuff that I need them
to use. Thats the reason for this in the first place.

TIA,

Mike