Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/11 13:22:34 UTC

draft [ANNOUNCE]ment version 4.15 [DISCUSS]

As a draft announcement and discussion item the text for an announcement
mail below. Note that the features list is far from complete and any
suggestions on that will be incorporated.

*The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache**®** CloudStack**®** v4.15*

The Apache CloudStack project is pleased to announce the release of Apache
CloudStack v4.15. Apache CloudStack 4.15 is a 4.15 LTS release which
contains
over 250 new features, enhancements and fixes since 4.14, such as
- advanced capabilities for Vmware,
- a UI overhaul,
- DB engine support for mysql 8.

Highlights include:

   - Supporting advanced storage configuration for VMware
   - VMware 7 support
   - New UI

# Documentation
The full list of new features can be found in the project release notes at
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/releasenotes/changes.html
The CloudStack documentation includes upgrade instructions from previous
versions of Apache CloudStack, and can be found at:
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/upgrading/index.html
The official installation, administration and API documentation for each of
the releases are available on our documentation page:
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/

# Downloads
The official source code for the 4.15.0.0 release can be downloaded from
our downloads page:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html

In addition to the official source code release, individual contributors
have also made convenience binaries available on the Apache CloudStack
download page, and can be found at:
http://download.cloudstack.org/ubuntu/dists/
http://download.cloudstack.org/centos/7/
http://www.shapeblue.com/packages/

Apache CloudStack powers numerous elastic Cloud computing services,
including solutions that have ranked as Gartner Magic Quadrant leaders.
Highlighted in the Forrester Q4 2017 Enterprise Open Source Cloud Adoption
report, Apache CloudStack "sits beneath hundreds of service provider
clouds", including Fortune 5 multinational corporations. A list of known
Apache CloudStack users are available at
http://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html

--
Daan

Re: draft [ANNOUNCE]ment version 4.15 [DISCUSS]

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

I've added some missing new/key features and fixed the URLs, please review/amend on top of:

### START ###

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® CloudStack® v4.15
Mature Open Source Enterprise Cloud platform powers billions of dollars
in transactions for the world's largest Cloud providers, Fortune 500
multinationals, educational institutions, and more.

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and
initiatives, announced today Apache® CloudStack® 4.15, the latest
version of the mature, turnkey enterprise Cloud orchestration platform.

Apache CloudStack is the proven, highly scalable IaaS platform of
choice to rapidly and easily create private, public, and hybrid Cloud
environments: it "just works". Apache CloudStack includes the entire
"stack" of features in an IaaS cloud: compute orchestration,
Network-as-a-Service, user, and account management, full and open native
API, resource accounting, and a first-class user interface.

[Insert quote from VP/User/etc)

The new 4.15 release ships with over 250 new features, improvements, and bug
fixes including:

- A new, modern user interface at general availability
- vSphere advanced storage capabilities to support VMware storage policies, vSAN, VMFS6, vVols and datastore clusters
- VMware "deploy-as-is" templates with OVF properties support for deploying virtual appliances in CloudStack clouds
- Secondary storage management tools
- Roles based users in projects
- Dynamic roles enhancements for more granular RBAC
- Support for CentOS 8, Ubuntu 20.04, XCP-ng 8.1, and MySQL 8
- noVNC console for performance improvements to VM console access
- Redfish support for out of band management
- Unmanaging guest VMs
- PVLAN support for L2 networks
- Boot into hardware setup (VMware)
- Configure root disk via service offering

More at https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/releasenotes/about.html

[another nice quote from somebody]

at https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/releasenotes/changes.html
The CloudStack documentation includes upgrade instructions from
previous versions of Apache CloudStack, and can be found at:
https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/upgrading/
The official installation, administration, and API documentation for
each of the releases is available on our documentation page:
https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/4.15.0.0/
http://cloudstack.apache.org/api/apidocs-4.15/

https://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html

https://download.cloudstack.org/centos/7/
https://download.cloudstack.org/centos/8/
https://download.cloudstack.org/ubuntu/dists/
https://www.shapeblue.com/packages/

Apache CloudStack powers numerous elastic Cloud computing services,
including solutions that have ranked as Gartner Magic Quadrant leaders.
Highlighted in the Forrester Q4 2017 Enterprise Open Source Cloud
Adoption report, Apache CloudStack "sits beneath hundreds of service
provider clouds", including Fortune 500 multinational corporations. A
list of known Apache CloudStack users are available at
https://cloudstack.apache.org/users.html

### END ###

Regards.

________________________________
Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Great; thank you, Giles.

I'll get back on the draft later today. Feel free to ping if you need anything in the interim.

Best,
Sally

- - -

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Copy thanks.

Regards.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav

________________________________
Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Rohit.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Excellent, thank you.

I'm OK with announcing whenever is most convenient for the community, but do know that I have _6_ Apache press releases in the works over the next ~2-3 weeks. I'm trying to avoid any collisions with the news cycle, give folks enough space to get visibility where possible.

Best,
Sally

- - -

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Daan
[Sally in CC by way of a heads-up that this is coming]

Good start. I've updated  below to keep more inline with previous release announcements and also added a summary of the 4.15 major enhancements

It would be good if we can get a couple of quotes from:
a) release Manager (you)
b) VP - Sven
c) some users  - I've copied Wido and Si as theyre usually an easy touch for a quote 😊

Anybody happy to send in a quote, reply to this thread and I'll edit it into the release

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® CloudStack® v 4.15
Mature Open Source Enterprise Cloud platform powers billions of dollars in transactions for the world's largest Cloud providers, Fortune 5 multinationals, educational institutions, and more.