Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Martin Dorey <md...@bluearc.com> on 2004/07/18 19:57:15 UTC

issue 1715: speed up 'svn blame'

I just tried subversion-1.1.0-rc1.tar.bz2 to see if it would help my svn
blame speed issue.  It was roughly the same speed in this test as
version 1.0.5:

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$
time ./subversion/clients/cmdline/svn annotate -r 170
~/work/scm/src/Badger.java

real       1m11.468s

user      0m0.176s

sys       0m0.396s

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$
time svn annotate -r 170 ~/work/scm/src/Badger.java > /dev/null

real       1m6.751s

user      0m0.172s

sys       0m0.149s

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$

This isn't a very large file - 619 lines and 179 revisions.  The same
annotate command at the other end of the ssh link is fine:

martind@locke:~/work/scm$ time svn -r 170 annotate src/Badger.java >
/dev/null

real       0m0.630s

user      0m0.500s

sys       0m0.101s

martind@locke:~/work/scm$

And the ssh link itself can't be too bad, as svn log only takes 5s:

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$
time svn log ~/work/scm/src/Badger.java > /dev/null

real       0m5.059s

user      0m0.038s

sys       0m0.029s

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$
time ./subversion/clients/cmdline/svn log ~/work/scm/src/Badger.java >
/dev/null

real       0m5.362s

user      0m0.045s

sys       0m0.234s

martind@doozer:~/download/subversion.tigris.org/subversion-1.1.0-rc1$

--
Martin, BlueArc Engineering

Re: issue 1715: speed up 'svn blame'

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 14:57, Martin Dorey wrote:
> I just tried subversion-1.1.0-rc1.tar.bz2 to see if it would help my
> svn blame speed issue.  It was roughly the same speed in this test as
> version 1.0.5:

Did you upgrade the server?

The 'svn blame' speedup results from the fact that the client now has
the ablitity to ask the server for a 'stream of file deltas' in a single
request, rather than having to send repeated requests for every single
full-text version of a file.

But, if you don't upgrade the server to 1.1, it lacks this ability, so
the client has to resort to the old, inefficien method.