Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrew Pimlott <an...@pimlott.net> on 2004/07/25 03:05:22 UTC

FAQ correction

I believe an important step is omitted from the answer to FAQ 36, "I
can't use tags to merge changes from a branch into the trunk like I used
to with CVS, can I?"[1].  After the merge, bar_last_merge should up
updated to reflect the merge.  AFAIK, the best way to do this is

    svn delete file:///home/repos/tags/branch_traces/bar_last_merge
    svn copy file:///home/repos/branches/bar_branch \
        file:///home/repos/tags/branch_traces/bar_last_merge \
        -m "merged rNNN to trunk"

Is my understanding correct?

Andrew

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#merge-using-tags

Re: FAQ correction

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Andrew Pimlott <an...@pimlott.net> writes:
> I believe an important step is omitted from the answer to FAQ 36, "I
> can't use tags to merge changes from a branch into the trunk like I used
> to with CVS, can I?"[1].  After the merge, bar_last_merge should up
> updated to reflect the merge.  AFAIK, the best way to do this is
>
>     svn delete file:///home/repos/tags/branch_traces/bar_last_merge
>     svn copy file:///home/repos/branches/bar_branch \
>         file:///home/repos/tags/branch_traces/bar_last_merge \
>         -m "merged rNNN to trunk"
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Yes, I think so.  I'll update the FAQ, thanks!

-Karl