Posted to test-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com> on 2005/01/28 17:24:59 UTC

Re: svn commit: r148889 - /httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework/t/conf/ssl/ssl.conf.in /httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework/t/ssl/fakeauth.t

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:40:38PM -0000, geoff@apache.org wrote:
> +
> +        # specific to 2.1
> +        <IfModule mod_authn_anon.c>
> +            <IfModule mod_auth_basic.c>
> +                <Location /ssl-fakebasicauth2>
> +                    SSLVerifyClient      require
> +                    SSLRequire           %{SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY} eq "SUCCESS"
> +                    SSLOptions           +FakeBasicAuth +StdEnvVars

Did you mean SSLVerifyClient optional?  Otherwise the SSLRequire is
surely redundant?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> Geoff, removing the SSLRequire line is right, it
> doesn't really matter though...

ok, done.  thanks for the input.

--Geoff

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:22:28PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:03:14PM +0100, Dominique Quatravaux wrote:
> > Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >

> > | so, are you saying that can remove SSLVerifyClient here and all is
> > | ok?
> >
> > No no, you're right and Joe was wrong, you must not change a thing.
> > Sorry for being unclear!
>
> I think you're confused about the difference between SSLVerifyClient
> "optional" and "require"

...he says...

> : both insist on a new handshake, both send the
> client a CertificateRequest message, but the former will fail the SSL
> handshake if no cert is presented; the latter will not.

...and then explains it backwards - exchange "former" and "latter" in
that sentence...

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:03:14PM +0100, Dominique Quatravaux wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>

> | so, are you saying that can remove SSLVerifyClient here and all is
> | ok?
>
> No no, you're right and Joe was wrong, you must not change a thing.
> Sorry for being unclear!

I think you're confused about the difference between SSLVerifyClient
"optional" and "require": both insist on a new handshake, both send the
client a CertificateRequest message, but the former will fail the SSL
handshake if no cert is presented; the latter will not.  So doing an
SSLRequire check for %{SSL_VERIFY_CLIENT} after using "SSLVerifyClient
require" is redundant.  Geoff, removing the SSLRequire line is right, it
doesn't really matter though...

joe

Posted by Dominique Quatravaux <do...@idealx.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> So Geoff is saying, "you must try" and at the next line "you must also
> succeed". With SSLVerifyClient optional, the semantics would be
> instead "Don't bother to insist for a certificate", "but if user
> forgot it, give him flaming death". Considered inappropriate :-)

i'm no expert here - I took the SSLRequire line from the test case on
httpd-dev, while all the other tests use SSLVerifyClient so I kept it
without really understanding things at all.

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=110685418427430&w=2

so, are you saying that can remove SSLVerifyClient here and all is ok?  all
I wanted was to exercise FakeBasicAuth + mod_auth_anon.

--Geoff

Posted by Dominique Quatravaux <do...@idealx.com>.