Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by ti...@ainfach.de on 2015/01/06 23:19:29 UTC

Pdfbox + Unicode

Hello,

i am trying to print a "€" char using pdfbox. The char will end up in "þÿ
¬".
i tryed to use PDType1Font.HELVETICA and loading Open Sans using
"PDTrueTypeFont.loadTTF(document, "Open_Sans/OpenSans-Regular.ttf");

i googled and found a lot of hacks around this issue, but i need to calculate the
width of the text later on.

is there a useable unicode / utf-8 support in pdfbox?

thanks,
Tim

Re: Pdfbox + Unicode

Posted by Rakshit Ashtekar <ar...@tibco.com>.
Thanks Tilman for the update. Apologies if I sounded like I am demanding
but my query was more like a curious question. I am quite aware that this
is a open source project and the contribution comes from dedicated
engineers like you donating your spare time. I appreciate all of your
contributions.

Cheers,
Rakshit

Re: Pdfbox + Unicode

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

The 2.0 will be released if all (or at least most) of these issues are
solved:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20PDFBOX%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.0.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

We can't give a timeline. The people here are volunteers donating their
time. This is pro bono work. Nobody can't "force" them to do anything to
keep a timeline, or to work for a deadline. This isn't a job, this is
meant to be fun.

The unicode improvements won't be added in 1.8. 2.0 was very much
redesigned, so it isn't possible.

The second best we can do is to help you if you are using the 2.0
version and have problems.

Tilman

Am 10.08.2015 um 22:08 schrieb Rakshit Ashtekar:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project where we need the Unicode support. Currently, I
> am using PDFBox 1.8.7 version. Per your suggestion, I tested the Unicode
> support in current 2.0 dev SNAPSHOT. It works and I was successful in
> supporting the required language. Thanks a lot for adding it in 2.0.
>
> I am curious to know if there is any decided timeline for the GA version of
> 2.0? When can we expect the 2.0 version to be out for GA?
>
> If you can provide me some info on the timeline, it would be of great help
> since I can make some decisions for my current project.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Rakshit
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM, John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a known issue with 1.8 which has been fixed in the 2.0 trunk.
>> There isn't an official release but you can use a development snapshot.
>>
>> -- John
>>
>>> On 6 Jan 2015, at 14:19, tim@ainfach.de wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i am trying to print a "€" char using pdfbox. The char will end up in "þÿ
>>> ¬".
>>> i tryed to use PDType1Font.HELVETICA and loading Open Sans using
>>> "PDTrueTypeFont.loadTTF(document, "Open_Sans/OpenSans-Regular.ttf");
>>>
>>> i googled and found a lot of hacks around this issue, but i need to
>> calculate the
>>> width of the text later on.
>>>
>>> is there a useable unicode / utf-8 support in pdfbox?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Tim

Re: Pdfbox + Unicode

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
My advice is to simply use 2.0. Probably 95% of the APIs are stable now, we’re in the final phases of trying to figure out the last few breaking changes. We don’t have any timeline though, it’s done when it’s done.

— John

Re: Pdfbox + Unicode

Posted by Rakshit Ashtekar <ar...@tibco.com>.
Hello,